Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW.1 British Spare Ammunition Bandolier!

findabetterole

Hello Chums,

I'm searching for the difference between the British WW.1 & WW.2 canvas 5-pocket (50-rds) spare ammo bandoliers. The WW.2 version was used well into the 1990's for 7.62 SLR ammo. This version had both white metal and thin brass wire clip closure fittings. It's mainly the closure fittings I'm interested in.

Did the WW.1 version have 'press studs', 'buttons', or the type of clips used in later WW.2 and post war versions?

Any pics or information regarding this would be very gratefully received.

Seph

The examples I have seen, that are dated have either;

1. copper hooks

2. press studs, or

3. steel buttons, black japanned.

The press studs are quite small (about 11mm) compared to the later common WW2 patterns.

Here are some Mk II 1916 and 1918 examples.

Chris Henschke

post-671-1179912850.jpg

post-671-1179912897.jpg

post-671-1179912942.jpg

And here is a 1915 dated example with buttons:

band.JPG

Thank you.. Chris, John,

That's exactly the info I was after!.

Seph :rolleyes:

Here is a 1918 version with the wire clips

post-76-1179933244.jpg

post-76-1179933408.jpg

Here is a 1918 version with the wire clips

Thank You 'Raster'.. that's very much appreciated.

Seph ;)

Interesting that the 1918 bandoleer held Mark VIIz ammunition. Although not exclusively so, VIIz was generally used in MGs.

Regards

TonyE

Dear All,

The MkII 'Bandolier, cotton, 50 rounds' was introduced into the L.O.C. in Jan 1910 and is made of a khaki coloured denim fabric with 5 pockets divide by a double row of stitching.

The MkI and Mk I* bandoliers were made from drill fabric and have larger pockets divided by a single row of stitching and a slightly different type of fastner.

In my collection I have a Mk II bandolier with press studs (dated 10-16) and a Mk II bandolier with copper wire hooks (dated 5-18). Both banodliers are marked II (mark two).

The Mk III bandolier was introduced in September 1944 and was made from a khaki drill fabric.

Reference New Zealand Army Personal Equipment 1910-1945 ISBN 0-9582535-9-5

Barry

Interesting that the 1918 bandoleer held Mark VIIz ammunition. Although not exclusively so, VIIz was generally used in MGs.

Regards

TonyE

Was that common practice Tony... or do you think this ammunition was placed into the bandoliers due to no other container being available at the time?

Thank you Barry, thats good background info. I've now got quite a shere of info to use.

Seph :rolleyes:

I think it is difficult to say whether it was common practice or not, as so few WWI period bandoleers seem to have survived. There is absolutely no reason why VIIz should not be packed for rifle use, it just seems to be found more often in MG belts.

Packing of ammunition into cartons, belts or bandoleers was either done at Woolwich or at Park Royal in West London. Manufacturers delivered the loose ammo to these locations in bulk crates.

Until it was demolished about ten years ago the old Ministry of Munitions packing facility at Park Royal was used by the BBC as rehearsal rooms (on the A40 just east of Hanger Lane).

Regards

TonyE

Packing of ammunition into cartons, belts or bandoleers was either done at Woolwich or at Park Royal in West London. Manufacturers delivered the loose ammo to these locations in bulk crates.

Until it was demolished about ten years ago the old Ministry of Munitions packing facility at Park Royal was used by the BBC as rehearsal rooms (on the A40 just east of Hanger Lane).

Regards

TonyE

Thanks for that info TonyE...

Would it be feasable then to surmise... if there was a shortfall of ready ammunition to fullfill a consignment for either MG-belt or Rifle bandolier, that this shortfall could well be made up from awaiting bult crates of either type... hence the example of the 1918 bandolier: VIIz?

Seph <_<

That is quite feasible. As I said earlier, there is no reason why VIIz should not be used in rifles, it just seems to turn up more often in belts.

The stocks of .303 fluctuated quite widely, sometimes too much in stock and at other times worryingly little. When stocks were low it would make sense to pack whatever was available from the manufacturers for either infantry or MG use.

It is not often realised that in late 1916 some 60% of the total small arms ammunition production of the UK was devoted to making ammo for the Russians, .303, 7.62 x 54 and 6.5mm Arisaka.

Regards

TonyE

• 16 years later...

is it only the ww1 with the press buttons as your picture shows