Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Account of the First Battle of Gaza

Matthew King

Dear Pals

Been reading through my Grandfathers letters from the first world war. He fought with the 6th Essex regiment. This letter gives his account of the First Battle of Gaza.

Usual address

Sunday June 8th 1917

Dear Mother & Dad

I am so please to say I received two letters from you this week dated May 12th, 19th. I also had two lots of books from you, a letter & books & a paper from Auntie & a letter from Rosie Smith. Quite a big mail eh what? How nice it is to receive letters from home. I was sorry to read about the Air raids, it must have been awful. I am [??] so glad for Dad [??] Ealing instead of the East of London. So poor Old Tom Mog is dead! I am sorry for I should have liked to have seen him again. Yes dear Mother other chaps receive books & papers & they all go round but we don’t get half enough reading material out here. We welcome the newspapers for we like to know how things are going on in France & at home. Well dear Mother & Dad I am still jogging along as per. We are having a pretty easy time at present, we are in reserve. We do three or four hours digging at night & two hours during the day. One thing that is rather rotten here is we can’t get our clothes washed. It is so hot here that our shirts get wet every time we are at work, so you can guess how we are situated. But what do we care, we are happy & quite use to it by now. Another chap & myself found a Y.M.C.A. canteen near the front line yesterday. You can bet we soon spent some cash there. My dug-out mates & I had a small cake apiece & some tinned fruit. And we were also lucky enough to get some toothpaste, writing paper & pencils. You need only enclose the one piece of paper& envelope now. Thank you very much for the P.P.C. some of our boys who have joined the battalion since we came off the Peninsular did their training in Windsor Park. It looks a grand place. Dear Mother so Nellie has written to you at last. I think she was a little ashamed of herself or she would have written before. Rose Smith said she was writing to you during the week. I daresay you have heard from her already. Dear Mother & Dad I daresay you would like to know a little about the scrap at Gaza. Our boys went into action about 3.30 pm on the Monday & we had captured our objective by 4.30pm. we held on to this position nearly all the night & a little while before dawn two companies of a reserve battalion took over the positions & we withdrew to where we started the attack on the previous night. We were forced to withdraw as the lads were without water & food. During the night the best part of my company including myself worked hard taking our wounded back to the advanced dressing station. It was about two hours after dawn when we made the second attack. We had filled our water bottles & had a drink of water (We were without tea for five days altogether) & a few pieces of biscuits, Soon we had the order “Get ready to move.” There was a bit of a scramble but we soon fell in. Then came the order all packs to be left behind. What a relief for it was no fun going into action in full packs as our chaps did the night before. “Everybody ready”, “Yes”, “Company number”, “One, two, three, etc, etc”, “Form lines. Right, Left wheel, quick match” & before you could say Jack Robinson we were over the ridge & crossing the plain towards Johnny again. Half a mo, I’m running past myself. Why we had to move off so quick was Johnny had counter attacked & drove our chaps out of the trenches so we had to hurry up & retake them. We took them alright & it was going up in extended order that I was hit in the ammunition pouch. When we had roused Johnny out of it we had a look around & made ourselves quite at home for a little while. I saw Edgar up in the front line & he told me poor Wallie had been hit. Suddenly we saw what looked to be hundreds & hundreds of troops coming over the skyline on our right flank. We thought they were our own reinforcements & we said “We’re in oil, we shall have the town today now”. Alas they were the enemy & worse luck we did not find out till they were about 800 yards away from us. Of course we gave Johnny hell for a time but he was too many for us & we had the order to withdraw fighting eastwards. I had just got out of the trench & crossing some rather broken ground when I was hit in the leg. One of our L/Cpls did my leg up & we moved off again. Johnny followed us up well. I saw several of our chaps hit including the L/Cpl who did me up (he was taken prisoner). We got back some how. I saw the ‘Red Cross Flag’ flying over a dressing station so I said to myself that’s my destination & I got there but the Lord knows how. I was soon on a camel & was taken away from the tumult. I did not like leaving the boys as they were hard pressed but they would not let me rejoin the battalion as there was something in my leg as you know. I think this is all I can write to you about the scrap but I shall have plenty more to tell you when I return home (If please God). The piece of bayonet the entered my leg was not very big. I will try & draw the size that will give you some idea. Dear Mother & Dad I am sending you those snapshots that I spoke of in my last letter. I will write on them & explain them. Tell me what you think of my photo. We have nothing further about leave to Cairo. Well dear Mother & Dad I think I must close now. I have got to write to Auntie, Fred, Nellie & Rosie yet. I hope this will find you both quite well & that Dad had not been working too hard lately. Ta Ta, best love & May God bless you.

I remain

Your Everloving Son

Lionel

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Thank you for the time and effort Matthew, it is always of interest me to have any new info' or insight from 54th Div. I am going to have a look at you website now.

Gareth

Thanks Garth.

Must admit I haven't added much to the site for a while but I have recently started transcribing the letters again and intend to update the site soon. Got to June 1917 so still got a way to go.

Matt

Yeah it is, it's been a work in progress for the last few years actually. I'll post a message on the forum when I next update it.

Matt

Beautifully written! "...and before you could say Jack Robinson ..." :)

Thanks for sharing Matt, very nice!

• 16 years later...

Thank you, Matthew, for posting this - a long time ago but I'm new to the forum. My great-grand-uncle (George Anderson) was in the same battalion as your grandfather, and was there for the first battle of Gaza. Unfortunately, he died of wounds received on Monday 26th March 1917, and from your Grandad's letter he may well been one of "our wounded" that your Grandad refers. Your Grandad's letter means alot, as we try to picture what our uncle's experiences would have been. Thanks again.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Matthew King visited the forum quite recently, with any luck, my tag will alert them to your post.

Hi @Bonnietack, so glad you found this on the forum. I did a lot of work on this years ago and always felt I should have done more with all the information I found. I will add the other information and accounts I found of the First Battle of Gaza below. I wonder if my Grandad knew George Anderson, it's nice to think he did. 

The 6th Battalion War Diary 

25th March 1917
Entered PALESTINE, marched to BENE SELA many columns moving parallel to Battalion. Halted at BENE SELA in a field beyond the town, hiding under cactus hedges and trees to remain concealed from aeroplane observation; cooked dinner.

Moved to IN SERAT, arrived 20.00

26th March 1917
To SHEIKH NEBAN. The morning broke foggy and in leaving IN SERAT the Brigade made a detour of some half a mile towards the sea and met Lieut Conl DOBELL, Commanding Eastern Force, who was looking for Point 310. He enquired after the health of the men, etc.

Arrived at the tombs at SHEIKN NEBAN, the Battalion moved into a wadi, and made preparations for cooking. Hostile aeroplane passed over. These had been scouting the column almost daily since leaving EL ARISH.

Orders to move at once. Halted near EL SARE (22). Hostile aeroplane passed over. Column was secreted in the hanger near a wireless installation. Day was hot. Two shrapnel bursts splattering "A" Co with dust. The column was moved off. The 161st Brigade ??? in ??? to the 54th and 53rd Divisions. Marched round by a dry watercourse. Enroute an enemy shrapnel directed at a British battery in action by a tomb caused casualties in the ??? ?? teams of the 5th Essex Regt who immediately proceeded the Battalion. Having filed up the danger without loss the Battalion halted at MANSURA. The Battalion Commanders of the Brigade proceeded to the Brigadier.

The Brigade advanced to the attack, 4th and 5th Essex in the first line, the 4th Essex on the right, the point[?] of direction being termed a [??] which [??] to be a small [?] like tall on the sky line on a long green hill which lies between ALI EL MANTUR and a bare sand hill called by the men the "Rabbit Warren", and by the Brigadier the "Labyrinth". The whole of this front was entrenched. Bearing of point of direction was nearly due NORTH.

The Battalion formed the second line moving 1500 yards in rear of the 5th Essex. Dressing Station about 1000 yards forward of the starting point, which was itself some 3750 odd yards distant from the objective. Two sections of the [??] Machine Gun Co accompanied the Battalion, the 7th Essex being retained as Divisional Reserve. (Reference map Africa 1/125,000 Sheet North H.36./E.111.)

The Battalion advanced to the attack 'B','C','D','A' Cos, each accompanied by its Lewis Guns. Battn H.Q. in front of 'D' Co, the Second-in-Command in near of 'A' Co. Some 1200 yds from starting point Brig-Genl. DODINGTON established his first Brigade H.Q. where the two red companies were halted for some time. Major ALEXANDER, 2/Lt. MANSFIELD and Lieunt. EDWARDS (Royal Warrick Regt. and of the Imperial School of Instruction, [??]) now followed the leading two companies, and after an interval 'D' Co, O.C. Battn. and Adjutant[?] were ordered to proceed to force the capture of the position and consolidate it. 'A' Co, Captain TEE commanding being retained in Brigade Reserve.Mayor ALEXANDER and 2/Lt MANSFIELD amongst others were hit by machine gun fire. The enemy's machine gun fire had been skillfully dispersed and the front of the defense well lucked[?] by it. The Mosque on ALI MUNTAR was undoubtedly an artillery O.P. The leading company of the Battalion lost eight sergeants and passing through other Battalions, Capt SHELDON, its O.C. informed me were the first to enter the enemy's position. After Midnight dispositions were:- Cheshire Regt. under Col, Lawrence was in possession of ALI MUNTER, some 200 of the 1/5 Royal Welsh Fusiliers under Major Beswick, their second-in-command, were in a trench between ALI MUNTER and Green Hill. 'C' and 'B' Co in the front line came next, prolonged on the left by half 'B' Co then 60 men of the 4th Essex and about 50 others 'D' Co less two platoons under Lieut Hyrons[?], thrown forward N.W. to a ridge which appeared dominating in the darkness. These platoons sent out patrols and considered they were the extreme left troops of this part of the line. There was a General Reserve in near behind the Turkish were of miscellaneous elements totaling at some time about 200/250 rifles. Another party under Major Wilson 5th Essex Regt was to the Westward of them. The Brigadier and Brigade Major visited the position, the consolidation of which had been well taken in hand, and observation parties and patrols pushed slightly forward, sentries posted etc, when it was learnt all troops were to withdraw and that such evacuation had been completed about midnight on ALI MUNTER. About 02.25 the 3 Companies of the Battalion quitted the hill the last. As rearguard extended and picked up wounded and arms, dropping a party of volunteers to assist at a Dressing Station established just within the outpost line which was found by the 7th Essex Regt. The Battalion arrived at the starting point after 05.15. It had no opportunity of cooking all day and had its [??] with it all the time.

Possibly the majority of the casualties suffered by the Essex Regiments where due to the machine gun fire. The consensus of opinion in the Battalion is that the machine guns near the Mosque were silenced by our Artillery and of those on the West, one by the [??] Machine Gun Corp and two by the Lewis Guns of the Battalion. The four telescopic rifles of the Battalion and it's Lewis Guns sought out the enemy automatic guns.

The following Officers took part in this operation.

Lt Col M J Bowder C.M D.S.O  
Capt H.J. Silverwood Killed
Capt J.L. Sheldon Killed
Capt E.W. Tee Killed
Capt L.B. Rayner Killed
Lieut H.H. Clark Killed
Lieut R.A. Nyrons Killed
Lieut H.P. Jarear[?] Wounded
Lieut H.W. Clubt[?] Wounded
Lieut s. Sendamore[?] Wounded
Lieut A.S. Edwards Wounded
Lieut A.S. Waskett With Camel Convoy
Lieut C.W.Silverwood With Camel Convoy
2/Lieut R.Sathcatt[?] With Camel Convoy
2/Lieut H.L. Durell With Camel Convoy
2/Lieut E.N. Clapon Wounded
2/Lieut L.E. Armsdon Wounded
2/Lieut E.S. Hill Wounded
2/Lieut H.S. Philips Killed
2/Lieut R.A.E Hughes Killed
2/Lieut E.W. Bentcliff[?] Killed
2/Lieut L.S. Daniell Wounded
2/Lieut H.S. Mansfield Wounded
2/Lieut R.E. Coats[?] Wounded
2/Lieut W.S. Cook[?] With Camel Convoy
Capt H. Cappuck[?](REMO) With Camel Convoy
Capt E.L. Horne (Chaplain) With Camel Convoy
Q[?] G.P. Rilfe[?] With Camel Convoy

Names of Other Ranks Killed + Wounded etc submitted to D.A.O. frd Schilon[?] on A.F.B.213.

Casualties sustained by the Battalion are as follows:-

26th March 1917

Officers   Other Ranks  
Killed Major H.P. Alexander Killed 11
  2/Lieut H.S. Philips    
Wounded Lieut Ross Smith Wounded 96
  Lieut S. Scudamore[?]    
  2/Lieut E. Claphon    
  2/Lieut L.E. Amsdon    
  2/Lieut L.S. Daniell    
  2/Lieut H.G. Mansfield    
Wounded &
Missing
NIL Wounded &
Missing
Missing NIL Missing 3

27th March 1917

Officers   Other Ranks  
Killed Capt H.J. Silverwood Killed 12
  Lieut H.P. Janener[?]    
  Lieut H.W. Clubb    
Wounded Lieut H.H. Clark Wounded 114
  Lieut R.A. Nyrons    
  2/Lieut H.L. Durell    
  2/Lieut E.D. Bentcliff    
  2/Lieut E.S. Hill    
Wounded &
Missing
Capt E.W. Tee Wounded &
Missing
  Capt L.B. Rayner    
Missing NIL Missing 47

W R Bowker
Comdg. 1/6th Essex Regt

image.jpeg.8290af2483ff295696080943bc88d374.jpeg

Troops of our Brigade the day before the attack.

image.jpeg.32c5a38de89f946b63a9e03ddc7b72d3.jpeg

Our Brigade forming up behind ridge prior to the attack. We were up and over the top before we knew where we were. The boys went over as if it were a field day as you will see by the following pictures.

image.jpeg.865501f3626007630941e3cb73714904.jpeg

One of the lines of attack. In the far distance you can see our objective. You can see what a vast plain we have to cross before getting at grips with the enemy. The dull object standing above the skyline just above the thirteenth man from the left is the mosque ---- It was about 1000 yards from there that I was hit in the ammunition pouch.

image.jpeg.bbab66b6a2cda88fec66414d71b1a19b.jpeg

Troops of artillery forming up.

image.jpeg.56058ccc16c6776639607c319823c908.jpeg

This is some of poor Walters Company. It was the Captain of Walter's Company and most of our Battalion that lead the final charge.

image.jpeg.238a26d4dc655e36bf5ea2b3d9192dba.jpeg

This is the rear of the leading Battalion. You can see ------ ------- what sort of equipment we wear into action and on the mules are Lewis Guns and Ammunition.

image.jpeg.086445edee93afa60955f39634aff067.jpeg

The following is an account of the First Battle of Gaza by Pte C. Grange. The account was published in the "Stratford Express" newspaper. Pte C. Grange was in the same company as Lionel King.

Holy Land

Perhaps many of your readers who have relatives and friends in Essex units would like to hear news of their boys who are fighting in the Holy land. Unfortunately, the news at present isn't going to be cheery, as ever so many of West Ham's boys now lie asleep on a green hillside in Palestine. Previous to the action which took place on about Monday, March 26th, we had trekked across endless deserts, marching day after day for weeks. Finally we reached a spot about three miles from the town of --------. The latter was a Turkish position, well fortified in many places. Strong redoubts dominated a huge wide, open plain, which gave no cover. Across this plain, against mighty odds, the Essex boys advanced. The leading battalions consisted of many men from Manor Park Ilford and Romford districts, followed by battalions well known to Stratford and Walthamstow. The whole force moved up under a murderous heavy fire from the strong Turkish redoubts, and in spite of the terrible conditions, lack of food and water and exhaustion, not one man faltered. We gained our objective towards evening and, utterly famished, gasping for water, we flung ourselves into the enemy's trenches and consolidated the position. Nightfall came, with all it's horrors. Dead and wounded were strewn on that hillside when the Turkish half-moon rose and shone on that ghastly scene. God it was terrible! Turkos and British both were too exhausted to carry on, and a parley was made to remove the wounded. All that night remnants from an Essex unit assisted to carry the wounded away. Dumps were made for the dead and piled up for burial. Just after midnight we evacuated the hill, and retired. However, operations were again resumed next morning. The units who were acting as reserves in the previous day's attack moved up again. So the ------- and the --------- went through the whole action again. Needless to say, we suffered rather heavily. About midday I stopped a bullet in my chest and crawled to an advanced dressing station. A camel carried me away from the line, and later, by a series of intervals of a few miles, ambulance mule wagons, camels, stretchers, etc, I arrived here in this clearing station, where I met scores of Essex lads having their wounds dressed, all cheery as ever. Well I've tried to give you as I saw it all. Please tell West Ham people that Palestine is not Holy; on the contrary, it is full of blood, machine guns, shells made at our Woolwich probably, and, well it's not a land of milk and honey. All the boys were magnificent, splendid and I only wish that my poor uneducated brain could describe the sacrifice and heroism of Essex troops. Good luck to your paper. Now for a clean up, a nice bed, and clean sheets, operating tables and, best of all, English nurses, white ladies who speak English.

CON GRANGE

Base Hospital, March 30th, 1917.

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew

Thanks for your older and more recent posts. I am interested in the 5th Bn and have medals to a number of officers and men who were there, some of whom fell or were wounded and a few of whom picked up gallantry awards (MC, DCM, MM; I also have an MM to 4th Bn, and another probable one for the 6th Bn :) ).

I can help with one of your undeciphered 6th Bn officers:

Lieutenant Harold Percy Taverner | War Casualty Details 1647249 | CWGC

Ian

To save your asking:

Gilbert Wilson PHILLIMORE

MILITARY MEDAL (GVR: 275079 CPL., 6 / ESSEX R. - T.F.), 1914 - 15 STAR TRIO (1280 SJT., ESSEX R., PTE. ON STAR), TERRITORIAL FORCE EFFICIENCY MEDAL (GVR, 275079 SJT., 6 / ESSEX R.).
M.M. LG: 18/7/1917 p7283. Award for Egypt. Probably an award for First Battle of Gaza

@eyman Thanks for the info on Taverner and Phillimore. Quite a few years ago I built a website dedicated to my Grandad but unfortunately it no longer exists on the web. I am trying to get it back up a running again. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2024 at 08:33, Matthew King said:

Hi @Bonnietack, so glad you found this on the forum. I did a lot of work on this years ago and always felt I should have done more with all the information I found. I will add the other information and accounts I found of the First Battle of Gaza below. I wonder if my Grandad knew George Anderson, it's nice to think he did. 

Thank you SO much for all of this info @Matthew King- amazing. I will pass all of this on to my mum. We can paint a little picture in our minds of what life was like for our Uncle George, through the eyes and memories of your Grandad. I can't thank you enough.

Edited by Bonnietack

Thanks @Bonnietack. I have created a website about my Grandfather's experiences in the War, hope you find it interesting there are more photos, letters, newspaper articles and any information I have found on the men who served with him

https://sites.google.com/view/pte-lionel-francis-king/home

If you have any more information or even a photo of Uncle George I would love to include it on the website. 

Edited by Matthew King