Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Please help to identify these locations

ressmex

I took these locations from the 13 brigade war diary for the 3d of May 1917, It would help me greatly an expert could pin point the locations (trench map grid ref).

2d May --- The 2 KOSB were bivied at--- A.28.a.&b.

3d May--- 2 KOSB in support 300 yards east of Lens - Arras railway with HQ at B.15.c.55/35.

Fresnoy trench where would it be ? ( this is the first time i've even heard of fresnoy trench )

thanks in advance

TOM

Please tell ME if I am setting out my request in the wrong way, this is not the first thread of mine in this section that no one has answered. I am trying to pinpoint the location of the death of my soldier and keep hitting brick walls.

TOM

Tom.

A 28 A&B...

post-357-1180098828.jpg

B.15.c 55.35

post-357-1180099013.jpg

Please tell ME if I am setting out my request in the wrong way, this is not the first thread of mine in this section that no one has answered. I am trying to pinpoint the location of the death of my soldier and keep hitting brick walls.

Tom.

You're not setting out your request incorrectly. It's just that the references you gave are incomplete (there are over 15 1;20,000 scale trenchmaps of frontline areas that have those references you gave). Saying that, with your mention of the railway, it wasn't too difficult to work out which map was the correct one (51b NW). However, though they are widely available today (at a price) in various formats (such as via the WFA, the N&MP CD-ROMs , G.H.Smith&Son and Linesman), reletively few people have easy (fingertip) access to them and even less can work out an area quickly from a reference.

Don't worry about people not answering requests - I've had the same experience several times over the past few weeks - not everybody reads every post every day (I hadn't seen this request until today, for example) and it isn't unheard of that questions are asked on this forum that no-one on here knows the answer to.

Dave

Fresnoy trench...

post-357-1180100899.jpg

...and (thanks to "Linesman"), July 1917...

post-357-1180101072.jpg

Hi Dave

Thanks VERY much for the info and the maps, I am waiting on (I hope) the relevent maps from WFA but was/ am concerned I would be unable to read the map correctly, this now means i'm getting closer to where my soldier died ( not bad for starting with a name and a place of birth eh). thanks again

TOM