Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Expeditionary Force: Nicholson

laughton

Here is the text of the messages posted elsewhere that will assist anyone that wants to see parts of the Nicholson text, see the maps on the web, or to order the text that is now undergoing reprint in Canada:

Message #1

To follow up on my earlier note and the response from Paul, I did go and look for the Nicholson text within the archives of the Department of National Defence in Ottawa (Canada). To my surprise, in the process of searching for the contact at DND I came across a web site where they have published out of print books and there it was in all it's glory.

Go to this web site and click on the book title and you can have all 600 plus pages in less than 1.5 MB of text in PDF format:

http://www.forces.ca/hr/dhh/publications/e...irc_e.asp?cat=6

Unfortunately, it is not only void of the colour maps, it does not even have the schematics. I have written to them to see if they can add the schematics and maps to the web site. I will keep you posted of the outcome.

Message #2

Don't worry about the simple printing of Nicholson's text, as I have now finished scanning the colour maps (there are 15 of them). I have posted them to my web site in JPEG format to conserve space. You can reach all of these at:

http://www.pollutechinternational.com/grea...nicholson/maps/

If you have any problems with any of these, send me mail.

Message #3

I have now received work back from the printer who is doing the reprint on the Nicholson text. Here is what they had to say:

I hope to have Nicholson by May 2003. However it is a huge project and is dependant on a number of issues. It will be a limited run so if people want books they should reserve their copies here. Price is $85.00 (Canadian).

My other books are available at Shirley Leishman's in Ottawa (she carries the best selection), some of them can be found at Chapters or Place Bell. My Bank Street address is only a PO Box. Check out the books on:

http://members.rogers.com/cefbooks/CEFHP.html

They are the basis of two TV series; For King & Empire and Lost Battlefields. If you want to place an order here are the details:

CEF BOOKS

P.O. Box 40083

2440 Bank Street

Ottawa, Ontario CANADA K1V 0W8

Tel./Fx. 613-823-7000/613-247-8873

cefbooks@rogers.com

• 2 months later...

Forum Members:

Further to my posting on Friday, I have received a reply today from the publisher in Ottawa who indicates that "due to a lack of interest" they have abandoned plans to republish Nicholson's book on the Canadian Expeditionary Force. I find that amazing, given that if you can find a copy of this book it sells of US$500 or more! I have sent them a note but it would be great if I could encourage any number of those of interest to support the need for the publishing of such historic works (by any of the member countries) so that we can keep the history alive. If you wish to support this, post your message here and I will forward them all to the Department of National Defence here in Canada.

Thanks to all for your assistance,

Richard

For my bit -

Nicholson's work ranks as one the best written, and accessible, of the important World War One histories. Its continued value is testified to by the price it can achieve through the second hand trade - far beyond those who wish to possess a copy for scholarly, rather than bibliophile or speculative, reasons.

Reprints of First World War works, both official histories and commissioned divisional histories, have been successfully undertaken here in the United Kingdom by companies such as the Naval and Military Press and, I understand, sell well. As a British historian - fortunate to have access to an original copy - I find the decision not to proceed both puzzling and saddening.

(How's that?)

Must confess I am a little surprised and saddened by this news; Norm Christie who runs CEF Books always gave me the impression when he lived and worked in France that it was one of his great ambitions to see Nicholson's book back in print... so his decision now not to print is strange, when interest in Canada, and interest in the CEF outside of Canada grows.

Maybe you should suggest it to N&MP? It does mean butchering an original copy using the process they have for reprints... sorry, I'm not offering my one! <_<

• 4 weeks later...

NOTICE TO ALL

I just went back to check on the 7th Btn in the Nicholson CEF book and I see that the web site has changed, so I must go back and change the link on my web site. It appears the Canadian site for the history of "Canadian Heritage" has changed to:

http://www.forces.ca/hr/dhh/engraph/home_e.asp

It looks like this time they have put the book out in PDF and I have tracked down the web site to:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/downloads/O...ories/CEF_e.PDF

and it is there in all 683 pages! After a quick scan I don't see that they included the colour maps, so it looks like the ones I scanned and posted on our web site are the only ones that exist.

Okay, so now I have to go back and change all my links.