Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Womens Royal Flying Corps

Guest alkens

Hello,

Attached is a picture of my great Aunt (top left). I believe she served in the Women's Royal Flying Corp. I have been told that she was in Berlin at the end of the war.

My question is this, what exactly were the duties of the ladies of the WRFC?

Also, does anyone recognise the other three ladies in the pic.

many thanks

Paul

post-1-1072194011.jpg

Paul

The correct term for this organisation was Women's Royal Air Force formed on 01.04.18.

The women undertook all sorts of domestic and clerical duties but also repair work to aircraft fabric etc.

However, some QMAAC females were attached to the RFC a little earlier. There were also women serving in the RNAS.

When the ladies serving in the Women's Royal Naval Service, attached to the RNAS, were taken into the newly founded Royal Air Force (in 1918), the number of women and trades were described as:

2,969 clerks

1,322 store workers

899 sail makers (covering the wings)

680 cooks

436 drivers

263 aircraft fitters

153 riggers

1,681 miscellaneous trades and trainees

When the women became WAAFs, their trades were categorised as:

Cat A: clerk, shorthand writer, typist

Cat B: cleaner, cook, waitress, laundress, domestic worker

Cat C: Chauffeuse, photgrapher, fitter, tinsmith, metal worker, rigger, wireless mechanic, wireless operator, carpenter, painter

Cat D: storekeeper, tailoress, shoemaker, sailmaker, motor cyclist

RFC female dispatch riders not being allowed to ride at night, is one of the bizarre sexist rules applied at the time that I've come across.....

However, some QMAAC females were attached to the RFC a little earlier. There were also women serving in the RNAS.

As shown in Paul's photo, the uniform worn by women attached to the RFC had a Flying Corps patch on the shoulders (it is larger than the patch issued to men).

Terry, I thought that the WAACs became the QMAAC in April 1918.....??

and some of these women were called "penguins"!

see earlier thread

here

Hi to all of you.

I am truley humbled by the wealth of information you guys have at your fingertips. Bravo (clap, clap, applause, clap, clap).

Does anyone have any idea as to what they would have been doingin Berlin around 1918 , who they would have been attached too?

many thanks again

Paul

• 3 years later...

Somewhere I came across a a reference to women getting flight training towards the end of the war. Is this true? :blink: To what purpose? Obviously not combat.

• 3 weeks later...
Somewhere I came across a a reference to women getting flight training towards the end of the war. Is this true? :blink: To what purpose? Obviously not combat.

I don't know for certain about the Great War, but women were flight trained in WWII. They then acted as ferry pilots, shifting planes from factories to airfields. At a guess, the women getting flight training towards the end of the war were then doing much the same job. No actual combat, just delivering the essentials as required :angry: .

Ailsa

The majority of WRAF in Germany served in Cologne, and I don't find any references to their being in Berlin, though I would not be surprised. I would, however be surprised to find any were in Berlin in 1918, as the first WRAFs to enter France got there in March 1919, and the first women to join the Army on the Rhine didn't get into Germany until May 1919.

Muskoka, can you provide a reference for the flight training information? I am studying early women pilots, and I find no references anywhere to official flight training for women in the UK during the war. I would love it if you could give some source for this information.

The best readily available book I know of on the WRAF and its predecessors is: Women in Air Force Blue, by Beryl Escott, published by Patrick Stephens Limited Northampton 1989. Doc2

One from my wife's collection. I allways took this lady to be a WRFC , But looking at the badge I am not so sure.Looks more like a QMAAC . Any Ideas ? "MO"

post-13272-1180264250.jpgpost-13272-1180264258.jpg

The Hat certainly looks like a WRAF Model 1918 one. Can't really make out the badge, but it could be the metal RAF one about 1919. The uniform looks like the standard Khaki WRAF uniform after conversion from RFC. Doc

• 3 years later...

The Lady in the Photo is certainly one serving in the Women's Royal Air Force, circa 1919

She wears the rank badge of Chief Section Leader on her left sleeve

See attached full image

post-66458-0-25895500-1299835179.jpg

• 8 years later...

Great way to resurrect a very interesting thread!!

M.