Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Immelman Turn

PBI

Having always been interested in Aerial Combat on the Western Front,could any more learned Forum members please tell Me how this Manouver would have been executed.Many thanks in anticipation.PBI

When I was stationed with Recce Wing 52 "Immelmann" and went to the pub with my old school friends the Immelmann turn was when it was my turn to spend a round of beer :P

The Immelmann turn as we know it today is somewhat different from the original maneuver that was named after Max Immelmann. Originally the term was used to describe a maneuver in which the pilot made a diving pass at an opponent, and upon passing that opponent would then pull his aircraft up into a steep climb. As the aircraft approached stall speed the pilot wouldd give full rudder in order bring his aircraft around and make another diving pass.

The Immelmann turn that we know these days is more of an acrobatic maneuver than a combat maneuver. The pilot pulls his aircraft up into a half loop, and at the top of the loop executes a half roll to right the aircraft, effectively reversing his direction.

Russ

Thanks for the contributions Chaps...Regards :)

When I was stationed with Recce Wing 52 "Immelmann" and went to the pub with my old school friends the Immelmann turn was when it was my turn to spend a round of beer :P

:lol: ..Maybe when you left the Pub you executed a "Figure of Eight" or the Occasional "Barrell Roll"

"Execute the "Immelman Turn" by flying level with good energy. Pulling back on the stick and bringing the aircraft into a steep climb. This climbing turn is maintained until the aircraft passes through the vertical and completes a half loop. At the top of the loop the aircraft is inverted and the pilot rolls the aircraft back into the upright position. The aircraft is now at a high altitude and has changed heading 180 degrees.

This maneuver allows for some energy management through altitude gain but there's some obvious speed loss."