Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brookwood Hospital

rugby-137

Pals

I`m trying to help another member who has a relative buried at Brookwood died 1920 in the area.

Can anyone tell me if Brookwood was ever used as a War Hospital or has it always been a Psychiatric Hospital?

Thanks in advance

Phil Henry

Phil

I've never seen reference to any part of the Asylum at Brookwood being used for wounded during the Great War, but it must be a difficult place to hazard a guess at the origins of some of the burials.

Sue

Sue

Thanks yet again for your help. I`m quickly drawing a blank on this one, is there anywhere I can research other WW1 hospitals in the Guildford/Brookwood area?

Regards

Phil

What does the death certificate say? If the place of death is at home, then he could have been treated anywhere before going home, and if it's a hospital, then that's the answer.

Sue

Sue

The death certificate is on it`s way and you are quite right that is the next way forward.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Phil

Phil

Thanks for your help on this.

As you say I am waiting for a hard copy of the death certificate.

As you know, but for other members of this forum the only info I know is from a written account of family history stating that he was a gas casualty, was taken ill (1920) with the effects of gas, admitted to a hospital in Brookwood (I only know the psychiatric one) and died on 04/03/20. Buried Brookwood Military Cemetery.

All the above relates to:

James Edward Goulter

RASC transfered to Labour Corps.

Thanks to all who have helped with this especialy Phil.

Andy

is there anywhere I can research other WW1 hospitals in the Guildford/Brookwood area?

Regards

Phil

Hello Phil

Just in case you are not aware, there was a Guildford War Hospital which had 445 beds for O'Rs. The only information I have on it is 'Guildford Union', does that mean anything to you? As far as I am aware there were five affiliated Hospitals attached, one of which was the 'Royal Surrey County Hosptial', a civil hospital and school - 130 O'R's.

I have not come across any information that suggests that Brookwood hospital was used in any way as a Military or War Hospital. I don't really know if this means anything but the CWGC states 'In 1917, an area of land in Brookwood Cemetery (The London Necropolis) was set aside for the burial of men and women of the forces of the Commonwealth and Americans, who had died, many of battle wounds, in the London district.'. I do know that the London district was not under the Eastern Command but Guildford War Hospital was.

Information that I have on any of the Military and War Hospitals at home has been found locally, that is in local libraries or in hospital archives. I would be interested if you do find anything. I do sometimes go into Guildford so will, at some point, do some research myself but some of the information, if any, may be found in the London district area.

Barbara

Hi Barbara

The Hospital I think you are referring to is probably the old Royal Surrey which used to be located in Farnham Road Guildford, there also used to be St Luke`s Hospital on the north side of Guildford.

Like you I have yet to come across anything that suggests Brookwood was used for anything other than a psychiatric Asylum.

I think you are right I should try my local library and research both Hospitals that used to be in Guildford (both now closed and replaced by The New Royal Surrey) there should be some information on the Hospitals role during ww1.

Brookwood Cemetery is almost 450 acres in size and i`ve done a lot of photography down there for other members, but the only thing that i have found are records stating which other cemeteries the casualtys were moved from, sadly no records of hospitals in the local area.

Thanks for your information and if you should find any other snippets i would certainly be interested in hearing about it.

Regards

Phil

Phil

I've looked through the hosptial list I have for the London district command and there were quite a few affiliated hospitals attached which were located in the Surrey area, i.e. Mitcham, Streatham, Surbiton, Byfleet, Esher, Ottershaw and Weybridge. I am wondering if there is a link here.

I could be wrong but it might be an idea to search for information further out as well. It doesn't really explain the written account of James Edward Goulter being admitted into a Brookwood Hospital but you may be able to find out more about the cemetery. Hopefully the death certificate will reveal all.

I should imagine that this cemetery is really interesting to research and I wish you a lot of luck with it. If I come across anything relevent, I will certainly let you know.

Barbara

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Phil & Barbara

Sorry for the delay I have been away.

Scan of the cert can be seen at http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/Ypres-Pilgrim/?action=view&current=DeathCert.jpg

Unfortunately I can't post it here as it says it's too big at 645kb.

As you will see the family history appears to have got this one wrong. He died at Woking Military Hospital & the cause of death was not the effects of gas but valvular heart disease. Unless the gas could bring on this condition. Phil will no doubt say I should know more about this given my profession, especialy as I am part of london's CBRN response!

Unfortunatly as always answering one question opens up new ones so:

Does anyone know where Woking Military Hospital was?

When did it open/close?

the death cert gives the profession as "Army Pensioner", are the army pension records at Kew & if so what can I expect to gain from them?

Thanks to both of you for your help

Andy

Does anyone know where Woking Military Hospital was?

The Military Hospital in Woking was 'Beechcroft' in ? Heathside Road?

Dave

• 1 month later...
Guest jabman1@ntlworld.com

I trained as a nurse and worked as a staff nurse at Brookwood Hospital from 1967 - 1973.

We were told by the old staff, rightly or wrongly, that part this hospital had been a Military Hospital during the wars.

As such the Hospital Incorporated into it's training badge given to nurses on completion of their training a Red Cross to reflect it's association with the militarypost-24286-1187001143.jpg with the Acorn Emblem of Surrey.

I do remember nursing many an old soldier from the 1st War during this period at the hospital.

I hope this helps.

No James Edward Goulter in the pensions records at Ancestry.com

Chris

Chris

This is confusing the heck out of me. Death cert clearly says "army pensioner" & yet I couldn't find any record on Ancestry either. I thought it was just my inability to look things up properly!

Andy