Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this Unit Insignia?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

OK here's a test for those who can write joined-up!

Does anyone know the Division or unit insignia that is painted on this Brodie. I should add that it belonged to my wife's great-uncle who served with the AOC & Hampshires in Egypt and Mespot from 1915-1919. Sory don't know the Battalion as it is not stated on the medal roll (maybe 1/6th - Marc?)

Thanks,

Ian

post-23-1072177131.jpg

Doubt if it's a divisional flash (maybe a divisional scheme?), but aren't those the colours of the Hampshire Regiment?

The South Downs Bns of the Royal Sussex had a organge - blue - orange flash which they wore in cloth on their upper sleeves and some officers painted it on their helmets.

Battalions of the Hampshire Regiment certainly used pugaree flashes in combinations of the regimental colours - Amber (Yellow) and Black - in the Middle East and India. The 1/6th Battalion wore a square patch, vertically halved black (left) and amber (right). However, this device has an extra section of red or maroon on the end of it, so I'm not sure. However, the East Lancashire Regiment had similar colours as painted on the helmet, and the 6th Battalion which served in Mespot with 13th Division wore a flash with this combination on their pith helmets. Muddies the water a bit!