Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

hms pembroke

jack b

hi!

i am trying to research my ancester william brown he was chief stoker on hms pembroke,service no 154094

died 15/11/1918

can't find reference for a ship only naval base in chatham, if he was at chatham how would he have died?

please can anyone help, thank you.

Given the date, there is every possibility that he died of influenza. Serving at Chatham and buried in Kent.

hi,would he have served on a ship,or would he have been permanatly based at chatham

thanx

Do you have his full service record? £3.50 from the NA :-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

If his record just says "PEMBROKE" he was shore-based. If PEMBROKE is followed by another name in brackets (e.g. PEMBROKE ( NONSUCH)) then that is the ship he served in, with PEMBROKE as its accounting base. His CWGC entry seems to indicate that he was shore-based when he died.

Do you have his full service record? £3.50 from the NA :-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

If his record just says "PEMBROKE" he was shore-based. If PEMBROKE is followed by another name in brackets (e.g. PEMBROKE ( NONSUCH)) then that is the ship he served in, with PEMBROKE as its accounting base. His CWGC entry seems to indicate that he was shore-based when he died.

thanx very much you have been a great help

Jack,

There was more than one Pembroke,

Pembroke II was RNAS Eastchurch Sheppy Kent

Pembroke III was in London

Pembroke IV was at Chatham/Great Yarmouth/Nore

Pembroke V was at Dover/London

Pembroke VI was at Chatham/Lerwick

Pembroke VII was at Grimsby

Pembroke VIII was at Humber

Pembroke X was at Lowestoft

Regards Charles

There was also a naval hospital at Chatham.

According to the online records, Brown entered the Royal Navy in 1890 so he might have served in some of the colonial wars as well as WWI.

Jack, details from his Admiralty death record:

BROWN, WILLIAM, CHIEF STOKER, 154094, PEMBROKE, 15-Nov-18, ILLNESS.

It would appear that he he died in HMS Pembroke hospital.

Best wishes

David

Jack, details from his Admiralty death record:

BROWN, WILLIAM, CHIEF STOKER, 154094, PEMBROKE, 15-Nov-18, ILLNESS.

Best wishes

David

it's possible he did die of influenza ?

cheers jack.

I assume this would be the old Royal Naval Hospital that is now known as the (stretched to exasperation) Medway Hospital, actually in Gillingham rather than Chatham. (There was an army hospital in Chatham called Fort Pitt).

As a result sailors were actually buried in Woodlands Road cemetery Gillingham, where they had a special plot. Fort Pitt cemetery in Chatham is primarily all army burials (I think there are some Royal Marines in there too).

Regards,

Jon S

I understand that the original Melville Hospital was in Chatham, but am not sure where the replacement was, however; I have seen it referred to as Chatham too. As far as I know there is not a stone frigate name associated with Gillingham, so the someone in the hospital would still have their pay, mail and other admin handled by one of the Pembroke administration centres.

Btw Jack the service register can be downloaded for free at Kew.

Eee them were the days -- a clock tower for £100, and it was from money left over from another budget! That must have been some plastering budget.

Just to put it into perspective, if you walked out of Pembroke by the front gate you was in Chatham by the back gate Gillingham and the South gate Brompton.

Regards Charles

Just to put it into perspective, if you walked out of Pembroke by the front gate you was in Chatham by the back gate Gillingham and the South gate Brompton.

Regards Charles

... but it was/is still a bloody long walk from the dockyard gates to Windmill Road.