Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R. Emrys Owen, 103 Squadron

Trebrys

I'm trying to find out information about an R. Emrys Owen who was with 103 Squadron during the Great War. I have no idea at all whether he survived or what he did with the squadron - whether he was a pilot, mechanic, observer etc.?

Would anyone know how I'd get anything at all about him or this squadron?

Many thanks,

Trebrys.

Trebrys

2/Lt R E Owen was an Observer. During a raid on Harbourdin on 18 Sep 1918, Lt Phillips & 2/Lt Owen were killed in action over Lille, hit by ack-ack and observed to spin down and crash from 15,000 ft. See www.103.airwar1.org.uk for further information about the squadron.

Patrick

Patrick.........that's marvellous news!

I'd been told by someone that there was a fair sized contingent of Welshmen with the 103 Squadron for some reason and his pilot's name seems to suggest that may be the case!

Would it be possible to find what sort of aircraft they were flying , I wonder?

Thanks again!

Trebrys.

Trebrys

2/Lt R E Owen was an Observer. During a raid on Harbourdin on 18 Sep 1918, Lt Phillips & 2/Lt Owen were killed in action over Lille, hit by ack-ack and observed to spin down and crash from 15,000 ft. See www.103.airwar1.org.uk for further information about the squadron.

Patrick

103 Squadron was equipped with DH9 bombers, the rather poor replacement for the DH4.

How did the name come up?

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick.

A friend of mine has come across a letter written by Owen and has asked me to find out information about him. I'm supposed to be receiving a copy of it soon - it'll be in Welsh - but I could translate it for you if you wish and send it to you. I do not know its contents.

Would you know of any way I could get information about Owen? Would any photos of the squadron at that period be in existence, I wonder?

Regards,

Trebrys

103 Squadron was equipped with DH9 bombers, the rather poor replacement for the DH4.

How did the name come up?

Patrick

Trebrys

I've sent you a personal message.

Patrick

Trebrys

Just to tidy this up, the DH 9 in which Lt T M Phillips (aged 24, from Swansea) and 2Lt R E Owen were flying on 18 September 1918 was D5572, which was flown to France with No 103 Sqn when they arrived at the Front on 9 May 1918. The only other casualty in D5572 was 2Lt W S Marshall (observer) who was slightly wounded during a raid on Fromelles-Wavrin on 8 July, while his pilot, 2Lt H D Humphreys was unscathed.

No 103 Sqn was based at Serny in September 1918.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

As ever, many thanks, Gareth!

Iwan.

Trebrys

Just to tidy this up, the DH 9 in which Lt T M Phillips (aged 24, from Swansea) and 2Lt R E Owen were flying on 18 September 1918 was D5572, which was flown to France with No 103 Sqn when they arrived at the Front on 9 May 1918. The only other casualty in D5572 was 2Lt W S Marshall (observer) who was slightly wounded during a raid on Fromelles-Wavrin on 8 July, while his pilot, 2Lt H D Humphreys was unscathed.

No 103 Sqn was based at Serny in September 1918.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

Iwan

He is on the Deiniolen Memorial.

See this previous thread

I would be interested in the letter if a copy is available!

Hywyn

Hywyn,

I have a copy of the transcript of the letter which I'll be very happy to send you later when I can or you can find the actual letter at the Archifdy in Caernarfon (I think!) if you can't wait! I think its reference number is XM/6643 and it's a letter to a R.R.Roberts of Fronheulog, Dinorwig written on August 27 1918.

Thanks for all your help.......eto!

Iwan.