Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Blanche Mina Burke M.B.E.

rugby-137

Pals

I found this at Brookwood today and saw the she was a voluntary sister at Newhaven Military Hospital 1914-1918. Does anyone have any more information about her please. (the grave sits at that angle it wasn`t me :blink: )

Regards

Phil Henry

post-14229-1179245755.jpg

Phil

I know nothing at all about her, but I can't resist a little hunt, and she was born Blanche Armstrong, in Southwark, S. E. London, the daughter of Thomas Armstrong, a marine engineer, and his wife, also Blanche. She married Fred Burke in Newhaven in the latter part of 1917 - the marriage is registered in the December quarter. She was obviously very involved with the New Zealanders - she has a fern leaf on her headstone, and I think the Fern Leaf Club was an Army club for the New Zealand Forces. And by the dates on the stone, she must have died fairly suddenly while still involved with the organisation.

Sue

Sue

Thanks again for your information. I must stop poking round Brookwood and finding individual nurses graves and pestering you :lol:

Thanks again

Phil

Phil

I'm sure that someone who likes to grope around in the Brookwood undergrowth looking for lost women is a rare find for the Forum :)

Sue

Fascinating. I'm now - more than ever - wishing I still had my 2nd NZEF official history collection. (Please all glare in the general direction of my mother, who sold them for a dollar each at a boot sale without my knowledge or consent. The 28th Maori Batallion one alone is worth $600, easy.)

Anyway, the only mention I can find of a 'Fern Leaf Club' is in Singapore (which was indeed a club for NZ army personnel) in the 1970s, but I'm guessing that one must/may have been based on an earlier club, potentially in the UK? Unless the Singapore one had been around for ages? But that would have meant our Blanche had been in Singapore.

Is there anywhere one can search for M.B.E awards? Maybe that may give some more detail?

Allie

Hi Allie

I`ve had a quick google but nothing yet, will try again tomorrow. Thanks for your info.

Regards

Phil