Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Devonshire Regiment.

Bob Coulson

Does anyone have a war diary or battalion history for the 2nd Devons.?

Currently researching 2nd Lt Horace Acomb of the Yorkshire Regiment who was killed in action on August 21st 1916 while attached to the Devons.

Would be most grateful for any info of their movements/actions on that day.

Bob.

At that time, the 2nd Devons were attached to 23rd Brigade, 8th Division (http://www.1914-1918.net/8div.htm). Having been involved in the opening of the Battle of the Somme, the 8th Division had taken over the Cuinchy sector on 14/15th July from 39th Division. Later, the 8th Division extended their line to include the infamous Hohenzollern Redoubt, taking over from the 15th Division. Toward the middle of August, the division were relieved of Cuinchy and took over the Quarries and the Hulluch sector. The divisional history reports that: '...from this time until the division returned to the Somme in October all three brigades were in the front line. (To pin the Germans away from the Somme) throughout August and September, therefore the 8th Division carried out many raids... A highly active trench warfare - in all its various manifestations - was, in fact, maintained throughout. Artillery, trench mortars and machine guns were rarely silent; rifle grenades and aerial darts were projected; bombs were thrown; gas was discharged. Equally unpleasant were the pertinacity, enterprise and accuracy of the German snipers'.

I do not have specific details of the 2nd Devons, though I have no doubt this will be forthcoming. However, it would appear 2nd Lt Horace Acomb may have been killed in a trench raid, by German retaliatory fire or by a sniper in this very active sector.

Robert

Below is a map of the area, with Hohenzollern Redoubt just off the top left, Quarries just above the centre, and Hulluch bottom right:

post-2-1072170718.jpg

Recent aerial photographs of the Loos Battlefield including Cite St Elie and Hulloch can be found on this link:

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/the...chy/cuinchy.htm

Thank you for attaching the trench map of the Quarries area, this is where 22nd Brigade, 7th Division advanced to 25 September 1915.

What was left of them were relieved 29th September 1915.

My Grandfather's last battle location with 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

On relief he was posted to Depot and discharged at Warwick 04.10.1915

I can imagine an officer enquiring 'Would you like to stay?'

An interesting story regarding this area of conflict and Captain R.L.G. Heath is on this link:

http://www.jjhc.info/heathraymond1915.htm

Regards

Richard

The regimental history includes the following:

The battalion shifted about from sector to sector, from Cuinchy to the Hohenzollern, then to the Quarries, and finally to Hulluch.... A mine explosion on August 21st damaged our saps extensively and buried several men. The enemy seemed once again to have been hoist with his own petard, for he made no attempt to advance and took no advantage of the fine targets which our men presented while working in the open to clear the saps and dig out the buried men. But if the battalion had the upper hand, its losses were appreciable, 2nd-Lieuts Vesey-Fitzgerald and Acomb and 15 men being killed during the month, while over 50 men were wounded.

Marc

• 1 year later...
Does anyone have a war diary or battalion history for the 2nd Devons.?

Currently researching 2nd Lt Horace Acomb of the Yorkshire Regiment who was killed in action on August 21st 1916 while attached to the Devons.

Would be most grateful for any info of their movements/actions on that day.

Bob.

Hi

I have read the Trench Diary of the 2nd Devons as my Granfather served with them. The Diary is kept at Wyvern barracks Topsham Road Exeter Devon. They ask you to first phone them before veiwing.

Robert.