Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dots on left forearm

I have just obtained my grandfather`s naval record and it states that he has dots on his left forearm. I have read somewhere on this forum that this has some meaning. He was a stoker 1st class who joined in 1909 and deserted in 1910 . He was sentenced to 43 days hard labour upon his recovery. He went on to serve for 9 years ( 4 years in the R.F.R). I would be gratefull if someone could tell me what the dots mean.

I don`t know whether sailors went in for tattoing arms in those days. A stoker would shovel a lot of coal though, one assumes, and any cut would go permanently dark due to coal dust? Coal miners were the same, I believe. Phil B

Not Great War and not Navy but my Gt Grandfather's enlistment papers (5th Regiment of Foot) in 1866 show 'Distinguishing Marks : Six ink dots in front & five aback of left foream' !

Peter

QUOTE (Phil_B @ May 14 2007, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don`t know whether sailors went in for tattoing arms in those days.

Certainly did, Phil, see service record of Gunner A.F. Shackleton below (photo of Frank in all his Warrant Officer splendour also posted 'cos it's a good one ;) )

post-2135-1179146855.jpg

post-2135-1179146908.jpg

- but your theory about coal dust in scars makes a lot of sense.

Jim

Thanks for that reminder, Kath. I'd forgotten all about that thread! Still don't know what the dots mean though... :blink:

Jim

(and hope you liked the pic of Frank Shackleton...)

Ive sent Mitzie a Pm with It in full.

ACAB

All Crushers are B*****ds

'Crushers' being the nickname of the naval police, I always took it as a term of endearment!

Regards Charles

Without stating the obvious we have two possibles:

1. Following his desertion in 1910, and subsequent 43 days hard labour upon his recovery, it was a less than amourous comment on Naval law enforcement.

2. Completely unintentional marking due to his work as a stoker.

Any more ideas?

Jon

Googling 'tattoo' and 'five dots' brings up many references to Thomas Edison, who, in addition to his inventions in the electrical field, apparently also invented a tattooing machine and had a tattoo of five dots on his right forearm.

I did think morse code and found a translator (on Google) - four dots (according to them) means H. Does his name begin with an H by any chance or his wife perhaps?

Probably completely wrong but always worth a guess!

Now where did I get four dots from? Just re-read the original and it doesn't mention how many dots. Apologies, but the original morse theory still stands.

Thank you all for your replies. I am inclined to think that the military police explanation is correct as my Grandfather was in and out of the cells throughout his time in the navy. I have tried to upload his service record so that you could all see what I mean but without success. There are also a few bits of info that I can`t read or understand that someone may have been able to help me with.

If he frequently went through the care of the crushers, you`d think he`d have thought twice about having the equivalent of ACAB tattooed? It wasn`t likely to endear him to them! Phil B

Hi Mitzy

This is very strange indeed, whe I read your message it reminded me of something I had read on my Grandfathers certificate of service.

he had 2 dots on his left forearm ? its must mean something

Bart :blink:

I found some refs suggesting that simple dot tattoos often related to the number of children the person had.

Probably completely unrelated but I have come across examples of people who have been tried by gypsy kris (court/legal & social framework) who, when found guilty of an offence, have had dots tattooed on their body, generally under their eyes.

Ive sent Mitzie a Pm with It in full.

ACAB

All Crushers are B*****ds

'Crushers' being the nickname of the naval police, I always took it as a term of endearment!

Regards Charles

I also took it as a compliment!!

Hi Mitzy

If you would like to email me your SR i will take a look at it for you and see if i can help fill in any gaps.

email addy is jamesharvey1975@yahoo.co.uk

Kind Regards

James