Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

how long did it take to train a pilot ?

moonloon

I am not sure what the average time was but, as an example, here are some of the dates relevant for the Australian 2/Lieut Percy Eric Palmer now buried in La Belle Alliance Cemetery.

28/10/16 Detached for duty with RFC (from AIF)

26/1/17 Joined RFC No 3 School (Exeter)

16/3/17 Commissioned to RFC and discharged from AIF

17/7/17 Kia with 29th Squadron

He had only been with the Squadron 3-4 days when he was killed on patrol.

This suggests he was training for 6 months (give or take) assuming his flying training started from when he joined the RFC School.

Neil

Hi,

Another example is Major James McCudden. In his book, "Flying Fury" he writes of when he became a pilot, the dates being:

24/01/16 Left Number 3 squadron (where he started as a mechanic on 15/06/13 and ended up flying as an observer, being promoted to flight sergeant on 23/01/16) to return to England for flight training

??/03/16 First solo flight just before being posted to Number 41 squadron

16/04/16 Qualified for his Royal Aero Club Certificate

01/05/16 Posted to Central Flying School for training as a 'scout' pilot

08/07/16 Arrived in France at Number 20 squadron, flying an FE2b

All in all, this took 24 weeks, two weeks short of six months.

Steve

Moonloon...

Here's another example, from 1917 (Lt. E.T. Evans, 34 and 206 Squadrons). I don't know how typical it was.

February 5th Reports to Inns of Court O.T.C. Berkhamsted for officer training

March 13th Arrival at RFC - St. Patrick's Hall/ Wantage Hall, Reading for basic theoretical training

April 23rd First flight at 4 Reserve Squadron, Catterick

June 7th First solo flight

June 30th To 46th T.S. Tadcaster

July 4th To 46th T.S. Catterick

August 7th To No.2 School of Air Gunnery, Turnberry

August 31st Back at Catterick he gets his "wings"

September 4th To 15th Training Squadron, Doncaster

September 19th To Spittlegate

October 5th To Hursley Park Camp, Winchester

October 17th Embarks for France

October 18th To No. 1 A.D. B.E.F. France

October 21st To 34th Squadron

October 24th First flight in France (as passenger)

October 26th First flights as pilot

October 27th First patrol over the lines

Chris

??/03/16 First solo flight just before being posted to Number 41 squadron

16/04/16 Qualified for his Royal Aero Club Certificate

01/05/16 Posted to Central Flying School for training as a 'scout' pilot

And if I remember correctly, almost immediately having gained his wings McCudden became a flying instructor.

Regards,

Jon S

Pilots that have recorded there time at Shoreham all say that the weather played a big part in life, with no flying for days on end. With this plus the time taken to move men from one place to another the real training time was more like 3 months than 6.

Tim.

Do I recall that pilots could arrive at their squadron with only 10 hours solo flying experience behind them. It must have been akin to suicide to go into air combat with this meagre level of flying experience.

It seems that the training period varied over the course of the war, as well as with respect to particular situations.

S.F. Wise: Canadian Airmen and the First World War gives some details about the training operation in Canada. The first cadets began flying in mid-March, 1917 (after coming 'straight in'). A group of eighteen finished training in May and sailed for overseas on 16 June. They were described as all having over 50 hours of "air experience". Once in England, however, they were given extra instruction on "service type" aeroplanes. A group arriving in England in late July, for example, were not posted to service squadrons for two months or so.

James.

Do you think 'straight in' implies they had no previous flying experience? I would have expected early volunteers to possibly have had done some previous flying - although just a hunch on my part.

Neil

James.

Do you think 'straight in' implies they had no previous flying experience? I would have expected early volunteers to possibly have had done some previous flying - although just a hunch on my part.

Neil

Neil,

In this case 'straight in' would mean no previous flying or military experience of any kind. Earlier on (1915-1916), there was a policy (in RFC Canada) of only accepting candidates who had paid for some private flying training, but by 1917 this was no longer the case. Incidentally, at the start of the war there were only about two dozen Canadians with flying licences, and by 1917 there were no longer any private flying schools. (There were still some down in the States, though).

I prolong this tread merely to post, as a bagatelle, this newspaper advert from January of 1918. It describes the sort of fellow that the RFC was looking for. (I guess!).

post-75-1179376407.jpg