Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enlisting centres info please

ijrowley

Hi

I am currently researching my local memorial in Haughton Green , Greater Manchester . One soldier , Percy Barlow pte 19116 enlisted at Hyde in cheshire and then joined the 8th service batallion of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry . Please can anyone shed light on to where the recruitment centre might have been and as to what role the regiment would be expected to play in the war and finally why would some one from a local area join another regiment based in Yorkshire , was it necessity . Many Thanks Ian

It could be the local drill hall for recruitment but the local paper would have details of all the recruiting centres.

As for him being in a Yorkshire Regiment - You went were you were sent. Although he may have changed Regiments at some time or other. Soldiers Died in the Great War may have details of any other Regiment. The 8th (Service) Bn KOYLI was formed at Pontefract in Sept 1914 (part of K2).It wa spart of 70th Brigade, 23rd Division. They served on the Western front and in Italy from memory. They were an Infantry Battalion. Have a look on the mother site The Long Long Trail and you can find out more on the Battalion, Division etc.

Also start a new thread asking for details on him from Soldiers Died in the Great War.

stevem

Hi Ian

Do you know when he enlisted?

Most of the men who enlisted in 1914 in answer to Kitchener’s call, joined their local regiments. As the war when on, you were more likely to be sent almost anywhere there was a need, especially if local units were ‘full’.

Pete

Hi Ian

Do you know when he enlisted?

Most of the men who enlisted in 1914 in answer to Kitchener’s call, joined their local regiments. As the war when on, you were more likely to be sent almost anywhere there was a need, especially if local units were ‘full’.

Pete

Pete

Sorry not sure as to when he enlisted , thanks for the reply tho from both of you Regards Ian

Hello Jim,

I can't help with local recruitment, I'm afraid, but there's a link here to an excellent memorial site and I wondered if it would be worth checking to see if Percy was also commemorated elsewhere in your area. There's also the excellent site which has been compiled by Graham and Gwyn on pre-war drill halls that you might like to look at. Just click on any post 'Dragon' has subscribed to, or 'Projects of International Importance' on the GWF.

http://www.carlscam.com/menu-places.htm

Cheers,

Dave

Ian

I'd put a quid on the main recruiting centre being at Hyde Town Hall. Was he living in Denton at the time? I wonder why he didnt enlist there?

His death in November 1915 is early enough to suggest he might have chosen the KOYLI in preferance to the Cheshires or Manchesters. Even though he was born in Guide Bridge, the family may have had Yorkshire connections or he may have joined up with mates.

Or, of course, as others suggest, he went where he was told.

John