Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GFM von Mackensen

roger

Can anyone be as kind to tell me what medals the old Field Marshall is wearing in the colour picture shown in the link below.

Thank you,

Roger.

Von Mackensen

Connaught,

Thank you very much that's excellent.

I am painting a 90mm white metal figure of Von Mackensen and the link to the picture I posted was the only colour pic I could find on the web.

Your help is much appreciated, thanks again,

Roger.

post-18479-1178797002.jpgpost-18479-1178796974.jpg

These might be of interest to you. Sorry I cant make them bigger as they are taken from the net and in my reference files for a few years now :(

Connaught Stranger :D

Thanks very much Connaught.

Roger

Hi around his neck he appears to be wearing

1 House order of the Hohenzollern Crown,

2) Lower down the Order of the Crown?

3) The star is the Order of the Black Eagle

4) Ribbon bar.

a) iron cross 2nd class 1870 with anniversary oakleaves

B) Unknown

c) The 1870-71 Franco Prussian war Medal with Campaign clasps

d) unknown

e) unknown

Hope this helps.

BTW he also had heaps of other decorations not shown, I'm sure he twinkled quite brightly in the sun

Alex

Thanks Alex. Perhaps this would help. Here's a photo of the model I'm painting. Assuming the sculpter hasn't used artistic lisence as far as the medals are concerned I'd like to know what colours the medals and ribbons are.

maybe i should've just asked that in the first place :rolleyes:

Roger

vonmack.jpg

post-18479-1178802135.jpg

Now if its possible to locate a colour version similar to this. :D

Hi Roger, Nice looking model. It does however look to me that the decorations he is wearing on the model are different from those in the picture posted by Connaught Stranger.

On you model he appears to be wearing the Pour-Le-Merite, (Blue Max) around his neck, and no other.

The star appears to be correct.

The ribbon bar once again is different from the photo. I suspect that the modeller has taken some poetic licence with the bar, however I will try to post some examples of the orders mentioned to give you an idea.

regards

Alex

Actually Connaught I don't think that uniform is German, Austrian perhaps? Interesting all the same.

Roger

Thanks Alex, we must've been typing at the same time then.

Roger

A nice colour photo of him as an old man with his Pour-le Merite with Oak leaves, Grand cross of the iron Cross, 1870-71 Iron crosses 1st and 2nd classes, from Ullstein Bild

Alex

Edit, actually I'm not to sure which were 1870 or 1914, except for the 2nd class, due to the anniversary oakleaves attached

post-19962-1178806111.jpg

Actually Connaught I don't think that uniform is German, Austrian perhaps? Interesting all the same.

Roger

Thanks Alex, we must've been typing at the same time then.

Roger

Hallo Roger :D

post-18479-1178813441.jpg

this was on the bottom of the card it might mean he is also an honorary officer of an Austrian regiment :unsure:

A man for all seasons.

Thanks for the phots fella's.

That was a good guess, it would apear he was Honoury Colonel of the Austrian 10th Hussar Regiment.

Roger

As promised some of his decorations shown, in colour

ist PLM with oaks, lighter royal blue,

2nd the order of theBlack eagle star.

more to follow

Alex

post-19962-1178817024.jpg

post-19962-1178817055.gif

Thats great Alex. thank you.

Roger

Hi Roger, the ones I am posting seem relavent to your model only and not the whole plethora of awards he actually received, that would make a forum on it's own! The guy had a very long and distinguished military carrier in the imperial army. I am sure that I, like many others are only to pleased to add additional information to this this thread as to all his awards to assist you, which to me is a good thing. The whole point to this and other forums is to share knowledge, experience and information.

regards

Alex

Thank you Alex. I am very grateful for the information yourself and Connought Stranger have contributed.

Lets hope I can do it justice with the painting. As you can see from the photo I posted he is wearing the uniform of the 1st leib Husaren. Black is a very difficult colour to represent in miniature so fingers crossed it turns out ok.

Roger

Roger, please post a photo of the completed model. I and other will be most interested to see the finished product

regards

Alex

just to close, two more that he may have worn on the ribbon bar

1 kaiser war medal, yellow ribbon

2 franco prussian war medal, this is the one with the campaign bars listed.

regards

Alex

post-19962-1178830049.jpg

post-19962-1178830070.jpg

Roger, please post a photo of the completed model. I and other will be most interested to see the finished product

regards

Alex

Will do, and thanks for the last two medal pics.

Roger