Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Command Depot, Ballyvonare Camp, Buttevant Co Cork

mikebriggs

Hello all

I'm trying to find out a bit more about the Command Depot based at Ballyvonare Camp in Buttevant, County Cork.

I've read the available info on the mother site, but it doesn't mention this particular Command Depot.

I've now come across it in the Service records of two Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby) men, who spent time there in 1916, presumable recuperating from wounds received.

Does anyone know any more about this particular establishment, with only two records to go on I don't want to assume that all Notts and Derby men were sent there

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

Ebay sold a postcard in March with five views of Ballyvonare, including 'Tommy's washing day'.

See - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=170086063942

It looks like a regular camp, rather than a hospital. I have seen a camp at Buttevant mentioned a lot in pre-WW1 days. Whether there was more than one in the area, I do not know.

If you search on Ballyvonare on The National Archives web site, they have a map of the camp. This should tell you if it is a regular camp or a hospital.

Pete

Thanks Pete

I think your right; it was more a barracks than just a hospital. I've since found some more info via Google (only on two sites though!).

The British Army left the Barracks in 1922 after the War of Independence and it was then destroyed. The 10th Royal Munster Fusiliers also spent some time there in 1918.

And from a Biography of Lt Wilfred Joseph Bunbury

“and when at Ballyvonare Camp, Buttevant, County Cork, to which post he was appointed in September, 1916,he started games for the men, cross country runs, and boxing matches, all of which were greatly appreciated by the convalescent soldiers in his charge.”

(http://www.4thbnnf.com/53_fusilierprofiles.html)

cheers

Mike

• 11 months later...

Hi

I know this is an old thread, but I just found an old postcard of my Grandfather who was posted to this camp in Feb 1918

He had been in France in 1917 and was injured near Vimy -- sent from there to Myrtle House, near Aberdeen and then on to Ballyvonare. He was in 2nd Birm Batt, R War R. I'll attach some pictures

Here is another one

post-33054-1208294354.jpg

post-33054-1208294364.jpg

post-33054-1208294407.jpg

post-33054-1208294416.jpg

My grandmother said that my grandfather was "sent to Ballyvonare in South Ireland (time of Sinn Feiners burning houses)" -- so I assume that at least some of the men here had an active role in policing the region.

• 8 months later...

By mid-1917 Buttevant Camp barracks enjoyed shows given by Southern Cammand's 8-man concert party The Merrions, described by one of their audience as "all good turns" who gave one show each week. Cinema shows were given on two nights during the week.

• 8 months later...

Ballyvonear is a townland about 4 miles North of Buttevant in Co. Cork. As far as I know there was a tented barracks in this area at the time of the Boer War, set up specifically to train the soldiers before departure for South Africa. The encampment was situated on the slopes of the Ballyhoura Hills, and the firing ranges from this time are still in existence (They are in fact still used occasionally by the Irish Army). Buttevant town had a large military barracks but no doubt not big enough for the numbers being trained for South Africa.

• 1 month later...

The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry were sent to Ballyvonare Camp in 1920. As a hutted camp, it seems to have been less popular than a normal barracks.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I know this is an old thread, but I just found an old postcard of my Grandfather who was posted to this camp in Feb 1918

He had been in France in 1917 and was injured near Vimy -- sent from there to Myrtle House, near Aberdeen and then on to Ballyvonare. He was in 2nd Birm Batt, R War R. I'll attach some pictures

I have just come across this thread after posting this picture in another thread on the forum. I am not sure if your grandfather was Cpl 235 G E George, but if he was he is also in my photograph which was taken on the same day as yours.

post-6480-005244300 1290257607.jpg

• 2 years later...

Just noticed this reply after several years since I last posted to this topic - that would be my grandfather L Sgt (235) Ernest Rudd George - second from right in back row. What a great picture to have run across after so many years. Thanks very much for finding this - sorry I didn't see it sooner!

• 6 months later...

Hi there

Found your posting re@ "Ballyvonare Camp. I have a post card from the camp with "Ballinvonear Camp" for 1st Sept 1917. It does not have any details about the camp or writer BUT as you will notice the spelling is totally different.

I collect Irish Postal History and have come across this anomally before. It is the British spelling of an Irish (Gaelic) name. I have not been able to find a direct location via Google nor in the 1964 and 1969 Postal directories.

See attachment. Hope this helps in your searches.

post-101988-0-59819800-1379182825_thumb.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that link illumina. Interesting site.

• 1 year later...

While researching a distant cousin of my husband's, Charlie Morrell (b April 1894, Rastrick, West Yorks) I discovered he spent time at Buttivant Command Depot. He joined D Coy 4th Res Bn West Riding Regiment on 5 Nov 1914, MSN 3225. Landed Le Havre 13 Oct 1915, joined Bn at the front 31 Oct but by 19 Nov was at Etaples Hospital suffering from trench foot and chilblains. On 22 Feb 1916 he was posted to Buttivant Command Depot until 14 July. The Medical Officer remarks 'Doing Route Marches for last month. Satisfactory'. He returned to France on 3 October and transferred to 13th Bn Yorks & Lancs, MSN 31721. He was in France till 21 January 1919, by which time he was an Acting Sgt, married Agnes Cockcroft in Rastrick on 2.10.1926, had one son and died 9.4.1956. Charlie's Burnt Records are about the best I've seen!

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=BritishArmyService&h=1347803&ti=5538&indiv=try&gss=pt&ssrc=pt_t36431907_p28668636050_kpidz0q3d28668636050z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid

• 1 year later...
Guest Brian Slater

My grandfather,  Charlie Hancock of the 129th Siege Battalion, Royal Garrison Artillery was taken to Ballyvonare Camp after being injured in France.  He was there in February 1918 as evidenced by a photograph taken 8th Feb 1918.  He was discharged on medical grounds in June 1918.  When he volunteered, he did so in Derby with the Sherwood Foresters.

• 1 year later...

I have a Victory medal to Colonel Carleton who commanded Command Depot, Ballyvonare Camp, Buttevant Co Cork, here is any article I found

cork 1916.JPG