Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grenadier Guards Brigadier O.B.E. with Service in the GW-Puzzle

Smithmaps

Grenadier Guards Brigadier O.B.E. with Service in the GW-Puzzle.

I know there are some clever people on the forum.

At the weekend, I obtained an officers jacket to a Brigadier.

I am trying to track down the owner of a Uniform/Jacket by process of elimination.

I have a WW2 jacket, Brigadier rank to the Grenadier Guards.

It is badged with 21st Army Group HQ shields, (which means he was with Monty at HQ pre 25th Oct 1945 when 21st AG was disbanded)

The jacket is sadly not named.

There were several Brigadiers to the Grenadier Guards at this time as far as I can make out.

5th Guards Armoured Brigade - Brigadier Norman Gwatkin (Later possibly Sir Norman Gwatkin of the Lord Chamberlain's office)

32nd Guards Brigade – Brigadier J.C.O. Marriott or Brigadier G.F. Johnson.

All involved in Operation Market Garden

These are all I have found so far

Now the clues:

The medal ribbons shown are:

O.B.E.

MC

Pip Squeak and Wilfred (1914-18)

1939-45 Star

France and Germany Star.

I am therefore trying to name the jacket by process of elimination on their medal records.

The only one I have found to be WW1 so far is possibly J.C.O. Marriot in the medal index cards

Lt/Staff Captain in the Northamptonshire Regiment.

How would I check to see if he ever got the O.B.E and MC, would it be on the card if I ordered it?

Would anybody have any information on the GW service or medal entitlement to any of the above officers, or any more candidates.

I will post a picture of it later today.

Many thanks

John Charles Oakes Marriott is one of "mine", but not yet researched...

I think he may have been 7th Battalion but I'll check...

A whole bunch of medal cards - mainly MID, the Campaign medals card is mispelt and they often don't show gallantry (though sometimes). I'll check the Gazette...

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

Last entry in Gazette:

LG 21-2-1950

COMMANDS AND STAFF.

Maj.-Gen. J. C. O. MARRIOTT, C.B., C.V.O., D.S.O., M.C. (9506), late S. Gds., relinquishes the appointment as General Officer Commanding, London District, 18th Feb. 1950, remaining on full pay.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

He seems to have been Scots Guards from 1920 onwards and I can't see an O.B.E. (Did everything else including representing the Scots Guards at the 1937 Coronation of KGVI). Don't think he is your man...

http://www.generals.dk/general/Marriott/Si...at_Britain.html

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/lhcma/locreg/MARRIOTT.shtml

Obit:

post-6536-1178635477.png

Commissioned : 11-11-1914, MC 3-6-1916, DSO 3-6-1917.

Steve.

Sir Norman Gwatkin was GCVO, KCMG, and DSO - no OBE

Steve.

Sir Norman Gwatkin was GCVO, KCMG, and DSO - no OBE

Steve.

Steve, you really have an exceptional skill, thank you.

I notice that Marriott, took over from Major General A.H.S.Adair. in Oct 1945

Somebody must have slotted in behind him as Guards Brigadier, I wonder if I am looking one step too high up the tree.

I will post the picture of the jacket when I get home.

Thanks again

Is the OBE Military or Civil? It can be distinguished by a narrow central stripe for military.

Also the ribbon changed in 1937 from purple and red (Type 1) to pink and silver (Type2). This may help track down the award date

Peter

Marriott was adjutant of 1st Battalion from January to November 1916 before being promoted to Staff-Captain.

Not 7th Battalion.. Wrong again!

Steve.

Is the OBE Military or Civil? It can be distinguished by a narrow central stripe for military.

Also the ribbon changed in 1937 from purple and red (Type 1) to pink and silver (Type2). This may help track down the award date

Peter

Hi

The O.B.E. is a pink colour with a thin central stripe, which makes it Military.

My money is on whoever replaced Brigadier John Charles Oakes Marriott in October 1945.

I think I need a Grenadier Guards Regimental list.

Here is the picture of the jacket, I was very pleased to aquire it, and the mystery makes it all the better.

Thank you for all sincerely for your comments.

Thanks again

post-12226-1178652500.jpg

With the help of Hans Houderman

http://www.unithistories.com/units_index/d...ts_british.html

I have a name.

Brigadier Cecil Graham Keith OBE MC

Commissioned into Grenadier Guards 07.11.15 and 12.06.40

MID twice in N.W. Europe

MC 14.11.16 For conspicuous gallantry in action. He led his men with the greatest dash, and, when he gained his objective, took complete charge of the situation. He not only beat off two counter-attacks, but pushed his line forward, and sent in an excellent report. He is only nineteen years of age, and set a fine example.

Any further info gratefully received.

Is anybody researching him?

Where was the above action?

Obituary?

Photo?

Sorry, I really am greedy! :lol:

2nd Lt Cecil Graham Keith MC (later Brigadier OBE)

MC 14.11.16 For conspicuous gallantry in action. He led his men with the greatest dash, and, when he gained his objective, took complete charge of the situation. He not only beat off two counter-attacks, but pushed his line forward, and sent in an excellent report. He is only nineteen years of age, and set a fine example.

Could anybody tell me what the Grenadier Guards were up to and where, on 14.11.16, that might have led to this MC?

Or might anybody have an Obituary?

I would be most grateful.

Guy

Guy if his MC was in the Gazette in November, it is likely to be for the fighting on the Somme in September 1916.

I think you've found most of what I could dig up:

- Born 1896 at Kensington.

- Son of Mr Graham Keith , a Solicitor, and Mrs Agnes Keith. Brother of Evelyn.

- Resident at 20 Pembroke Gardens, Kensington, as of 1901.

- Appointed Second Lieutenant (on probation) in the Grenadier Guards on 17th November 1915. (LG 16-11-1915)

- Confirmed in rank in February 1916 (LG 25-2-1916)

- M.C. (LG 14-11-1916)

2nd Lt. Cecil Graham Keith, G. Gds., Spec. Res.

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He led his men with the greatest dash, and, when he gained his objective, took complete charge of the situation. He not only beat off two counter-attacks, but pushed his line forward, and sent in an excellent report. He is'only nineteen years of age, and set a fine example.

- Appointed from Lieutenant as acting Captain on 13th December 1916.

- Relinquished rank of acting Captain on 9th August 1917.

- Appointed Staff Captain and temporary Captain on 2nd September 1918.

- Relinquished appointment as Staff Captain and temnporary rank of Captain on 17th April 1919.

- Relinquished commission on 1st April 1920 and retained the rank of Captain.

- Only son of Mr and Mrs Graham Keith of 11 Stafford Terrace, Kensington (as of 1925).

- Married in 1925 to Hope Malins Wright, younger daughter of Mrs and Mrs Leslie Wright of Haseley House, Warwick.

- In partnership as Solicitors with Gerald Keith at 18 Southampton Street, Holborn during 1930s and late 1940s. Premises moved to Gray's Inn by 1970s.

- Returned to Army with a commission as a Lieutenant in the Grenadier Guards on 12th June 1940 (136564) (LG 27-8-1940)

- OBE as temporary Colonel on 1st February 1945 (LG 1-2-1945)

- MID for services in NW Europe as a temporary Brigadier on 9th August 1945 and 4th April 1946.

- Died 3rd November 1973, "peacefully at Wayside, Rusney, Sussex. Dearly loved husband of Hope."

- Funeral at St Mary Magdelene Church, 7th November 1973.

He was in No 2 Company 4th Bn .

I'll post some more from Ponsonby soon.

Date of MC Gazetted is not same as the action he won it for.

He gets a mention in fighting for 25th Sept.

I'll be back in a mo.

These are the mentions he gets in Ponsonby.

Volume ii

pages 13 (Jan 1st 1916) & 17(April 1916) listed as 2nd Lt in No 2 Company 4th Bn.

page 18 (April 1916)

Lieut.-Colonel Lord Henry Seymour ...... also praised the marked ability shown by Second Lieutenant Keith and Second Lieutenant Constable in the control of their men under very difficult circumstances.

page 132 Sept 16, listed as 2nd Lt in No2 Coy 4th Bn.

page 133 Sept 15th 1916

Second Lieutenant Keith from No 2 Company and Second Lieutenant Farquhar from No 3 were sent on to locate and report on a position on the other side of Ginchy , to which the Battalion was to move later. On their return the two Bbattalions moved forward,

page 138 again listed as 2nd Lt in No 2 Coy.

page 141 Sept 25th

The right of the 4th Battalion under Sergeant Pitt had managed without difficulty to keep touch with the Scots Guards and had reached the second objective , but on the left, which was in the air, Second Lieutenant Keith was unable to adavance while he had the Germans on the left in the same trench as his Company.

page 142 ...the only company officers now left with the battalion were Lieutenants Farquhar, Second Lieutenant Keith, and second Lieutenant JWF Selby-Lowndes, and the untiring energy they displayed elicited the highest praise from the Commanding Offficer.

page 171

January 1917

listed as Lieut (OC) of No 1 Company

page 191

April 1917

Listed as Capt. CG Keith MC (OC) No 1 Company

page 193 July 1st 1917

as above

page 194 5th July

Lord Gort made a second visit to the front line and took with him this time Capatin the Hon FE Needham, Capatin Greville , Capatin Keith and Lieutenant Lord E Hay.

Voulme iii

page 290

listed as awarded MC

Keith CG Lieut, (Actg Capt)

That's it. Sorry about typos.

page 141 Sept 25th

The right of the 4th Battalion under Sergeant Pitt had managed without difficulty to keep touch with the Scots Guards and had reached the second objective , but on the left, which was in the air, Second Lieutenant Keith was unable to adavance while he had the Germans on the left in the same trench as his Company.

Fabulous gents, so grateful.

So likelyhood MC won on 25th Sept. Is there a location by any chance?

Seeing as I have more trench maps than I can shake a stick at!

Thank you again, and again.

Guy

• 5 years later...