The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

D.P. Ellis of the 7/8 KOSBs

Mike C

Looking for any information or how to find it on the above soldier. The only thing I do know is that he "probably" survived the war and was at "Villars Sir Simon" in France in August of 1918.

Thanks for any direction.

Mike C

Hi Mike,

I've found your man at last.... is it almost two years since you first posted about him?

Wrongly indexed online as "D D Ellis", here is the medal roll entry for Private David Patterson Ellis, 7/8th KOSB.

Cheers,

Stuart

post-6340-1178576697.jpg

A bit of searching on ScotlandsPeople shows a David Paterson Ellis born 1885 in the parish of Bedrule, Roxburghshire. I don't have any current credits so can't download his birth certificate for you.

Bedrule Parish: Genuki

Looking for any information or how to find it on the above soldier. The only thing I do know is that he "probably" survived the war and was at "Villars Sir Simon" in France in August of 1918.

Mike C

Mike,

7/8 KOSB were part of 15th scottish Div, and in early August 1918 they were heavily engaged alongside the French at Buzancy near Soissons, and around Viercy, before moving to the Loos sector at the end of the month. There is a good battalion history, 'A Border battalion: The 7/8th KOSB' privately printed in Edinburgh in 1920' The roll of honour in this is officer only and there is no index, but various stalwarts of the battn are named at various points.

Regards

Adam

In the 15th Division History the dispositions after Buzancy gives the 91st Field Company RE at ' Villers sur Simon ' p 260

Aye

Malcolm