The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Soldier to share

Tonym

And here is number two - Stan Parker, noted as Killed in action, France 1916, but I could not find him on CWGC.

post-1946-1178568490.jpg

Tony.

Great picture. Are you sure the surname is Parker. It looked more like Packer to me but I could not find a Stan Packer on CWGC either!

Tony

I think it is Sapper S.F.PASKER who is shown on CWGC as buried in Hebuterne Mil Cemetery on 13 October 1916.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Is he Canadian?

Collar dogs for an o.r., and what looks like a Canadian jacket with more buttons than totally necessary?

Possibly:

Name: PARKER, ALEC STANLEY

Initials: A S

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry (Central Ontario Regiment)

Unit Text: 19th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/04/1916

Service No: 56173

Additional information: Son of the late Joseph and Elizabeth Parker.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 18 - 24 - 26 - 30.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Steve.

Neil - Sotonmate - Steven & Steve

I have to admit that the third letter does not look like the 'R' at the end so it could be an 'S' or it could be a 'C'. However here is an enlargement of head and shoulders that I have to admit does not look like Engineers to me. So what do you think?

post-1946-1178572322.jpg

Thanks guys

Pleased that I sparked a little interest. I have a couple more named ones to post but the majority are unnamed. The collection was to produce different badges of the time. Would you consider unnamed photos would be of general interest?

Tony

One thing about the two photos that I posted - Frank Voice, Sussex Yeomanry and Alec Parker, now identified as a Canadian is the connection between them. the handwriting on both is the same and they both have a drawing pin hole at the top indicating that they have both been pinned up, possibly with others, and both photographs have the same photographers name on the back "G. Pearson, 30 Vicarage Rd. Hastings". One died in France 1916 and one in Palestine 1917. Can anyony suggest a connection <_<

And here is number two - Stan Parker, noted as Killed in action, France 1916, but I could not find him on CWGC.

post-1946-1178568490.jpg

what a good looking man!, this is a lovely photo unlike some of the more staid looking photos we see, this guy is relaxed and very amiable looking. what a pity he did not survive.

Problem again getting onto thread, however her's another from the album

post-1946-1178660501.jpg

Name: GOODALL, ALFRED

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Berkshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 28/07/1916

Service No: 2946

Additional information: Son of Albert E. and Annie J. Goodall, of 18, Moffatt St., Maidenhead, Berkshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 39. 5.

Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN

and press cutting to follow

Tony

One thing about the two photos that I posted - Frank Voice, Sussex Yeomanry and Alec Parker, now identified as a Canadian is the connection between them. the handwriting on both is the same and they both have a drawing pin hole at the top indicating that they have both been pinned up, possibly with others, and both photographs have the same photographers name on the back "G. Pearson, 30 Vicarage Rd. Hastings". One died in France 1916 and one in Palestine 1917. Can anyony suggest a connection <_<

Tony.

Wild stab in the dark!!

They were all at a training camp in the vicinity and went to the same photographer before they went overseas. However, they never got to pick up their pictures as they were all kia.

Neil

Tony.

Wild stab in the dark!!

They were all at a training camp in the vicinity and went to the same photographer before they went overseas. However, they never got to pick up their pictures as they were all kia.

Neil

Neil

Reasonable assumption and I can understand Frank Voice being in Hastings area (Sussex Yeomanry) but I suppose Canadians could have been on a training excercise, perhaps Frank Voice was on the Cadre strangth and trained him???

Tony

Another soldier, this one a bit special as it came from his grandson,

Albert Neville, 1st Btn. Royal Guernsey Light Infantry. KIA 13.04.1918 commemorated on Ploegsteert Memorial, Panel 11. The photo shows Albert Neville,(Lewis Gunner badge on sleeve) His wife Sophie and daughter Gladys, Gladys’s son gave me the photo

post-1946-1178998515.jpg

This one is probably one of the first photos of the newly formed R.G.L.I. formed December 1916. Albert Neville bottom right.

post-1946-1178998957.jpg

This one is Joseph Le Page, Albert Neville’s Brother-in Law also R.G.L.I. but not sure if same Btn. Seated right is Sophie, Albert’s wife and Gladys on Nanny’s knee

post-1946-1178999045.jpg

Wonderful photo. Could you ask or put us in touch with the owner of the photos, We have a non profit commemoration website in memory of all those channel Islanders who served or gave thier lives during the Great war. It is aimed at being the main focus website for Channel Islanders searching and learning about the Great War and its affect on Channel Island Life.

We are able to answer may question and have volunteers who give up thier to perform this research for the greater good.

Please visit www.GeatWarCI.net

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem again getting onto thread, however her's another from the album

post-1946-1178660501.jpg

Name: GOODALL, ALFRED

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Berkshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 28/07/1916

Service No: 2946

Additional information: Son of Albert E. and Annie J. Goodall, of 18, Moffatt St., Maidenhead, Berkshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 39. 5.

Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN

and press cutting to follow

Tony

[i do not know if this is the same person as the service number is slightly different my grandfather was also in 1/4th Royal berkshire Regiment Lance Corporal R Barret 1832/200167. Going though his platoon roll book there entry with the same name but a written differnet service number but the about the same date? I do have some more names in his book and aslo from his note book.

Nick]

post-19680-1180465259.jpg

post-19680-1180465376.jpg

Parker was born at Gibraltar, which makes me think his father was a British Army Regular. His NoK - his mother - is shown living at Barking, England. Not all that far from Hastings.