Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A soldier at Gallipoli

Martyn Gibson

I am trying to find out which regiment a family member, William Hadley, from my wifes side of the family would have been in. She remembers her uncle Will as having scars down his face and body and that these had been inflicted by a Turkish sword! during the Gallipoli campaign.

He hailed from Dudley in the West Midlands, can any one suggest any local regiments from that area that were involved in the Gallipoli campaign, better still if any one can place him with a regiment!!!!!!! LOL

Thanks for your time and may I wish all the forum members a very merry christmas and a happy and prosperous new year. :D

Martyn

Hi Martyn

The 9/Worcs. were there, I not sure if any Staffs. were there but look at Chris' the Long, Long Trail it should have more on the Gallipoli campaign.

Annette

Martyn,

Ref to Ray Westlake's 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' suggests that the following may be of interest:

9th [serv] Batt Royal Warwickshire Regt

4th Battalion Worcestershire Regt

9th [serv] Batt Worcestershire Regt

7th [serv] Batt South Staffordshire Regt

7th [serv] Batt North Staffordshire Regt

1st/1st Warwickshire Yeomanry

1st/1st Worcestershire Yeomanry

I did not come across any mention of swords though no doubt they were used from time to time by Turkish or German officers. However both the 4th Worcestershire and the 7th North Staffs refer to fighting involving bayonet work and they may be the best place to start.

Best of Luck with your research

Michael D.R.