Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

5th Seaforth MM

o j kirby

Hello

I have a Military Medal awarded to 241952 Cpl J Sutherland in my collection. I have a copy of the MM Card, but have failed to find the Gazette entry online which would give place of residence. The gazette date is 26th September 1917, and most likely an award for 3rd Ypres. His name appears listed in the 5th Seaforth diary. Can anyone advise on the Gazette question. Also another puzzle for the Medal index cards experts. When searching the index online, all I get is the card for the MM...WO 372/23. I examined the previous entries in number sequence and ger the following:

241951 Pte Donald MacKay previous number 6210....WO 372/13

241952 Cpl J Sutherland No other number.......WO 372/23

242953 Pte Donald MacLeod previous number 6212...WO 372/13

Is it correct to assume that Cpl Sutherland was previoiusly 6211 ? Why is there no other card for Sutherland indicating his other entitlement and number? The War diary lists his MM award along with others on the same date, and I assume that he was therefore overseas at the time. I have seen the same circumstances during other research projects. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Owain.

not all MMs in the gazette have a place - its only the latter ones but dont know off hand when this changed

most likely is that either the MIC is not in the right place or he was in another unit - medals for service are named to the unit you 1st served in theatre with

there may be a slight error on the MIC online seems odd 2 J Sutherlands with consecutive numbers.

Medal card of Sutherland, J

Corps Regiment No Rank

Seaforth Highlanders 260353 Lance Corporal

Royal Scots Fusiliers 3124141 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/19