Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Ships at Gallipoli

Aussie136

Can anyone advise if there were any Australian ships involved with the initial landing of Australian troops at Gallipoli.

Can anyone advise if there were any Australian ships involved with the initial landing of Australian troops at Gallipoli.

Mate, surely AE2 rings a bell, being the first of any allied ship to force the Dardanelles and cause general strife! (waves aussie flag proudly! :P )

There is a good brief history on the early war participation of the RAN in the AWM History here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/histories...chapters/09.pdf

The exploits of AE2, and HMAS Sydney (vs Emden) are detailed, but you can find more in the Navies website:

http://www.navy.gov.au

(Waves Australian White Ensign vigorously!)

Dave

To the best of my knowledge there were no Australian warships involved in the Anzac landings on 25 April 1915. HM Ships participating included QUEEN, PRINCE OF WALES, TRIUMPH, MAJESTIC, BACCHANTE, LONDON and destroyers RIBBLE, USK, CHELMER. I'm not sure about transports.

Thanks Dave

I am aware of both the AE1 & 2 but am looking for more in the way of ships that were involved with transporting & the landing of the troops. I have been looking quite a bit but when it comes to finding this info there is very little if anything at all that helps. That is why I posted this as I am not sure any Australian ships were actually involved with carrying the troops into or near Anzac cove. I am also aware that it was the Merchant Navy that actually took the troops to shore. What I am actually looking for is the names of these ships so I can then search for photos of same.

Thanks for the other info also I will wade through it and see what I can find.

Horatio2

Thanks Mate

This has answered my question as I was guessing this to be the case as not having seen anything to suggest any Australian ships participating. This being the case do you know what Australian ships were involed during the Gallipoli campaign and where I may find photos if any exsist.

I am also aware that it was the Merchant Navy that actually took the troops to shore.

Not so. The ANZACs were taken ashore by Royal Navy crews drawn from the warships. The troops had been trans-shipped from the merchant transports to the warships before the landings took place.

For a good description of the landings from a Navy viwepoint I can recommend "Gallipoli" by Eric Bush, who was a midshipman (from HMS BACCCHANTE) towing the ANZACs ashore, for which he won the DSC aged 15 - the youngest ever.

I am not aware of any Australian warships in the naval force at Gallipoli (except for AE2).

Not so. The ANZACs were taken ashore by Royal Navy crews drawn from the warships. The troops had been trans-shipped from the merchant transports to the warships before the landings took place.

For a good description of the landings from a Navy viwepoint I can recommend "Gallipoli" by Eric Bush, who was a midshipman (from HMS BACCCHANTE) towing the ANZACs ashore, for which he won the DSC aged 15 - the youngest ever.

I am not aware of any Australian warships in the naval force at Gallipoli (except for AE2).

I understand that there may have been some 'Australian' Midshipmen (first cadet entry at the RANC in 1913) who may have been used to direct the tows. I can't put my finger on a direct source though. There were certainly many who served at Jutland and other battles in RN units. I don't believe there where any RAN ships present during the campaign except AE2.

A good source of information is the Australian Navy's seapower centre listed in the RAN website. If you are keen for some info, I can probably help out; the director is my previous Commanding Officer. It is a 'think tank' and central point for Australian Naval History with some of the most respected 'current' Naval historians.

Dave

This is a quote from

http://www.anzacday.org.au/history/ww2/anecdotes/unsung.html

(The merchant ships took all of our troops to Gallipoli, and in many cases landed our troops on the beach at ANZAC Cove in the ships’ lifeboats -- manned by merchant seamen, who also came under the deadly fire from the Turkish guns.)

Now not so sure if this is a true account. Like everything there are usually different versions of events.

Thanks for info anyway mate I can stop looking now.

I understand that there may have been some 'Australian' Midshipmen (first cadet entry at the RANC in 1913) who may have been used to direct the tows. I can't put my finger on a direct source though. There were certainly many who served at Jutland and other battles in RN units. I don't believe there where any RAN ships present during the campaign except AE2.

A good source of information is the Australian Navy's seapower centre listed in the RAN website. If you are keen for some info, I can probably help out; the director is my previous Commanding Officer. It is a 'think tank' and central point for Australian Naval History with some of the most respected 'current' Naval historians.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

Photos of any ships involved including the AE2 is what I am looking for as my wife wants them to use as a reference to painting. Also the correct colour of these ships would be great if they had a name for the actual colour. Photos on the net aren't always a good source to use.