Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Bn Worcestershire Regiment B Coy. Epehy, France

LEEJOHNBIRCH

I AM NEW TO THE FORUM BUT HAVE A LOT OF INFORMATION WHICH THE FAMILY HAVE GATHERED TOGETHER ON MY GRANDADS BROTHER.

WILLIAM THOMAS BIRCH,

WHAT WE KNOW IS HE WAS IN THE 1/7TH BATTALION WORCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT, ENLISTED STOURPORT, PRIVATE NO: 200356. HE DIED ON THE 1ST APRIL 1917 IN EPEHY FRANCE.

HE WAS A STRETCHER BEARER AND WE THINK HE WAS KILLED NEAR MALASSISE FARM? OR POSSIBLY IN A HOUSE USED AS A DRESSING STATION ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF EPEHY.

WHAT IS INTERESTING IS THAT AT A RECENT VISIT TO HIS GRAVE AT ARRAS ROAD CEMETERY, ROCLINCOURT, FRANCE. WE NOTICED A GRAVE ALONGSIDE THAT WAS THE SAME DATE OF DEATH AND WAS WORCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT 1/7TH HIS NAME WAS PRIVATE DAVID GWYNNE NO:200556.

MY QUESTION IS IS THERE ANY WAY OF FINDING OUT IF THEY WERE BOTH KILLED IN THE SAME ACTION AND IF ANYBODY KNOWS ANY INFORMATION ON THE BATTLE AT EPEHY? OR THE INVOLVEMENT OF THE WORCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT THERE?

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO TAKES THE TIME TO READ THIS.

LEE.

welcome

Gwynn lived in Kidderminster (born Kirkcaldy, Fife) - you could try the local library to see how he died

welcome

Gwynn lived in Kidderminster (born Kirkcaldy, Fife) - you could try the local library to see how he died

CHEERS FOR THAT

LEE

Welcome.

Have you seen this link.

1914-1918 Worcestershire Reg.

Susan.

Guest geoff501

Lee,

There is a bit about the capture of Epehy on 1st April in Captain Stacke's book, The Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War. Most Worcestershire libraries seem to have a copy. If you've not seen this please PM me and I'll send you a few pages. Stacke mentions a dressing station being heavily shelled. Casualtys for the day were 9 killed and 41 wounded. Four MCs and six MMs were awarded.

Geoff

Guest geoff501

From SDGW:

BIRCH, William, b. Stourport, Worcs, e. Stourport, 200356, PRIVATE, Killed in action, France & Flanders, 01/04/17,

Worcestershire Regiment, 1/7th Battalion.

COLLINGE, Raymond Leonard, b. Kidderminster, e. Kidderminster, 200292, SERGT., Killed in action, France & Flanders,

01/04/17, Worcestershire Regiment, 1/7th Battalion.

GRANT, Alfred, b. Bristol, e. Kidderminster , r. Bristol, 203757, PRIVATE, Killed in action, France & Flanders, 01/04/17,

GWYNNE, David, b. Kirkcaldy, Fife, e. Kidderminster , r. Kidderminster, 200556, PRIVATE, Killed in action, France &

Flanders, 01/04/17, Worcestershire Regiment, 1/7th Battalion.

JENKS, William Richard Lee, b. Kidderminster, Worcs, e. Kidderminster, 200808, PRIVATE, Killed in action, France &

PARTON, John Wallis, b. Wordesley, Staffs, e. Kidderminster, Worcs , r. Woolescote, Worcs, 200679, SERGT., Killed in

action, France & Flanders, 01/04/17, Worcestershire Regiment, 1/7th Battalion.

SOUTHALL, Albert, b. Redditch, Worcs, e. Worcester , r. Redditch, 203845, PRIVATE, Killed in action, France &

TAYLOR, Samuel, b. Rowley Regis, Staffs, e. Dudley, Worcs , r. Springfield, Worcs, 201753, PRIVATE, Killed in action,

France & Flanders, 01/04/17, Worcestershire Regiment, 1/7th Battalion.

WESTON, Gilbert Edward, e. Worcester , r. Worcester, 203612, PRIVATE, Killed in action, France & Flanders, 01/04/17,

Guest geoff501
Casualtys for the day were 9 killed

Forgot the officer. Its not clear in Stacke if he was wounded or died.

Name: FELLOWS, ARTHUR SIMPSON

Initials: A S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/04/1917

Additional Information: Son of Mr. J. A. and Mrs. S. A. Fellows, of 67, Heath St., Stourbridge.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 9.

Cemetery: EPEHY WOOD FARM CEMETERY, EPEHY

Your next question is probably why were 7 of the 10 buried at Epehy Wood Farm Cemetery and two at Arras Road?

(Grant is on the Thiepval memorial so was not found)

Lee,

very brief details of the action on the 1st April are that in a surprise dawn attack without artillery support the 1/7th Worcs, 6th RWarks and 6th Glos took Epehy.

With regard to Gwynne his brother Bob aged 30, was serving as 830579 in the 241st Brig of the RFA also in the 48th Div saw Davids body being carried from the trenches.

• 1 year later...
...With regard to Gwynne his brother Bob aged 30, was serving as 830579 in the 241st Brig of the RFA also in the 48th Div saw Davids body being carried from the trenches...

Hi Kevin,

I realise that it is some time since you made this post. I am connected to the Gwynnes through my great grandmother, as she was David Gwynne's cousin. David was one of at least 10 Gwynne cousins who all served in the war and I am trying to piece together information about them all.

I am interested in the source of the info you mentioned, particularly as it also mentioned David's older brother, Bob.

Any pointers you could give would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Brian

Edited by Rockford

• 11 years later...

Sean,

David enlisted 2/9/14 and crossed to France with 1/7 Worcs 31/3/15. He was initially allocated No 2387 which was changed to 200556 early in 1917.

From Kidderminster Shuttle April 1917 (microfilms in Kidderminster Library)

The death in action is reported of Private David Gwynne, aged twenty years, of the Worcesters, son of Mrs. Gwynne, 45, Acme Cottages, Churchfields. Private Gwynne enlisted two years ago, on the same day he met his death, April 1st. He was formerly employed at the Childema Carpet Works. By a singular coincidence his brother Bob, who is in the R.F.A., met his brother being borne away from the trenches, and conveyed the news to his mother in the following letter:- I am sorry to tell you we have lost Dave. He was killed on the 1st of April. Don't worry, he died for his country. Thank the Lord he has done his share. I can tell you, it put me about when they told me. I saw him before he went up the lines and he was quite cheery. He was a man all the way through. God bless him, and may the Lord give you strength to bear this lot. Six of his comrades have signed a letter, ending "from his old pals - W. H. Postings, F. Harrison, A. Jeffery, E. G. Kelly, W. Winkworth, and H. Smith." The letter is as follows:- "It is with the deepest sympathy we write to inform you of the death in action of your son, David, which occurred on the morning of the 1st of April. It was during an attack on an enemy village he was hit by a bullet. He did not suffer pain, as death was instantaneous. We shall miss him very much as he was always bright and cheerful, and willing to do his duty under any circumstances; also he was one of our best pals. We went to see him after things had quietened down, and saw that he had a respectable burial. He was buried in a quarry not far from where he fell. We hope God will give you strength to bear your great trouble and loss of your dear son. We send our deepest condolence and sympathy in this your hour of great bereavement. The following was received from the Lieutenant commanding:- Dear Mrs. Gwynne, - I really cannot help writing to you to express my deepest sympathy with you in your bereavement. Your son David met his death early on the morning of April 1st. He was in the front line, when our Battalion attacked and captured a town of some importance.     He died a soldier's death. For the past year he has been a runner in my Signal Section, but a week or two ago our runners were sent to their various companies for a time, while we trained some reserve men. Had he survived he would have returned to me in a day or two. This makes me feel his loss all the keener. He was one of my most trusty men. Please bear up with the knowledge that he died while doing his duty for his country; the best death a man can die. All who knew him join with me in expressing their deepest sympathy.

1911 Census
David Gwynne
Address: 14 Malvern Place Claughton Kidderminster - the dwelling had 5 rooms
Estimated Birth Year: 1897
Where born: Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland
Father's Name: Robert A Gwynne 52, carpet tuner, b. Airdrie, Scotland
Mother's Name: Jeannie Gwynne 53, b. Glasgow
John Gwynne 26, married, labourer in tanning works, b. Stirling
Mary Gwynne 22, carpet weaver, b. Edinburgh
Lizzie Gwynne 19, carpet weaver, b. Paisley
Jeannie Gwynne 17, carpet threader, b. Rosslyn Glen
Nellie Gwynne 12, b. Kirkcaldy
His parents had been married for 28 years - 7 of their 8 children had survived.

KILLED/WOUNDED/ DURING THE CAPTURE OF EPEHY

Extract from 1/7 Worcs War Diary

1/4/17
Operations against EPEHY.
    2am Battalion moved off from SAULCOURT WOOD to form up for the attack.
    5am Advance on the village commenced.
    5.45am The leading platoons enter the village.  The enemy was completely surprised & did not realise anything was wrong until we were about 50 yards from the village.  He then opened up rifle and machine gun fire & a weak barrage.  The latter fell well behind the advancing troops.  The South end of the village resisted well for some time assisted by MALASSISE FARM. The guns were turned on this FARM & opposition ceased.
    6am The barrage moved to the S.W. end of the village and shelling became intense and continued all day.  The parts shelled most severely were the S. end of the village & F.7.a.
    6.45am The Dispositions at this time were:-
        B Coy partly at Railway in F.1.b., A Coy partly in F.1.b.and partly in F.1.d., D Coy in a trench in F.1.c. & F.1.d.
    7.15am Battalion H.Q. formed in trench in F.1.c.d.  The village was now completely cleared and thereafter avoided as much as possible.
    8.30am Dispositions at this time were:-
        Observation post at MALASSISE FARM, one platoon at F.1.d.31, at F.1.d.80 a post, two platoons at F.1.d.7.6.  One platoon on railway in F.1.b. Two platoons in trench F.1.c.32, two platoons in trench F.12.d. & one Coy. In sunken road running S.W. to N.E. in E.12.  During day the shelling of EPEHY was incessant.  B Coy were gradually withdrawn to sunken road in E.12.b. In the evening Bn. H.Q. was moved to F.100 & C Coy took over the line held by the 6th Gloucesters. During the operations 1 machine gun & 2 Lewis Guns were captured by A Coy & 17 dead Germans were counted in our area with much equipment. At night one platoon of D Coy was sent out to consolidate MALASSISE FARM & patrols were pushed out to keep in touch with the enemy.
        Casualties during the day:- 1officer (2 Lt. FELLOWS) &   9 O.R. killed & 40 O.R. wounded.

Extract from Regimental History by Stacke p 247

THE CAPTURE OF EPEHY.
The night before April 1st was dark and still. At 2 a.m. the 1/7th Worcestershire, together with the 1/6th Gloucestershire on their right, and the 1/6th Royal Warwickshire on the left, moved forward to attack. The companies moved forward across country in artillery formation, as silently as was possible. The troops reached their allotted positions and extended just as the first light of dawn showed over the ridge in front. Then at the appointed minute the officers led their men forward and in one long wave the leading company, headed by Captain W. R. Prescott, rushed up the slope. A splutter of fire greeted them at the top, but the enemy, taken by surprise, made no attempt at a stand; many were bayonetted, more surrendered, and in a very few minutes Epehy had been overrun. Fighting went on at the southern end of the village for some time, and further to the right a defence was put up at Malassise Farm. To deal with that resistance the British artillery, hitherto silent, opened a bombardment, and after a few well directed shells the defenders of the farm ceased fire. Captain G. R. Wallace led forward a small force and captured the farm about Y.30 a.m. By that time the village was completely cleared, and the Worcestershire platoons were digging in on the further side. Throughout the day the work of entrenchment was continued (conspicuous good work was done by 2/Lieut. A. H. B. Clark), while the enemy's guns savagely bombarded the captured village ; but the new trenches were well sited on the forward slope, clear of the houses and the shell-fire caused little loss). But the dressing station was in a house on the outskirts of the village, and it was heavily shelled. Captain B. C. O. Sheridan R. A.M.C. showed great bravery in his work under that fire. He was awarded the M.C. When consolidation had been completed, two companies were withdrawn to the reverse slope behind the village. When darkness fell it was found that the total casualties during the day were fifty, including one officer. Several machineguns had been taken and also one light field-gun. 9 killed. 2/Lieut. A. S. Fellows and 40 other ranks wounded. The following awards were made to the 1/7th Battalion for the capture of Epehy : - Capt. G. R. Wallace - bar to M.C. Captain W. R. Prescott and 2/Lieut. A. H. B. Clark - M.C. Sgt. H. Langford, Sgt. J. Postings, Cpl. F. C. Aston, Pte. L. W. Dorrill, Pte. J. Oakes, Pte. J. Tyler - M.M.

• 3 weeks later...