Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine WW1

patwilliams121

I have the war record for my relative who was a Marine of the Plymouth Division. His date of entry was 17 Sept. 1914. On the10th Nov he moved on to "Victory (RMBtl)"

Would this be a ship or a land base? I know he served at Cape Helles and was wounded at Gallipoli.

Thanks in advance

Pat

PS Just been reading a previous post - think it answers my question too - sorry!

Pat

"Victory (RMBtl)" his pay, mail and other administration was handled by HMS Victory whilst he was actually serving with the Royal Marines Battalion of the Royal Naval Division.

Do you have his papers from the Fleet Air Arm Museum as well as the NA? If you post his Register Number [Plymouth/***] I can tell you if they having anything on him.

Do you have his papers from the Fleet Air Arm Museum as well as the NA? If you post his Register Number [Plymouth/***] I can tell you if they having anything on him.

I only have his details from the NA - it would be really helpful to get more information as he was "adopted " and there is no birth registration matching the war details.

His number Ply. 328/S

(Pte. William Fletcher)

Many thanks for this,

Pat

Pte. Fletcher suffered a Gunshot Wound to his Right Arm & chest in action with the Plymouth Bn. 13/7/15 & was invalided to the UK 17/7/15.

Awarded Certificate by GOC RND for Gallant & Courageous conduct 13/7/15.

Discharged Invalided in Oct 1916.

Pte. Fletcher suffered a Gunshot Wound to his Right Arm & chest in action with the Plymouth Bn. 13/7/15 & was invalided to the UK 17/7/15.

Awarded Certificate by GOC RND for Gallant & Courageous conduct 13/7/15.

Discharged Invalided in Oct 1916.

Many many thanks Horatio 2 and John for your trouble. It is so amazing to get such information so quickly! I am going onto the FAAM site now and will order whatever they've got. I know there will be a long wait, but at least I know what the info is. It's just nice to have copies of actual papers.

(This IS a busy site - took me ages to get to the Forum page. An excellent helpful Forum!)

Thank you, Pat