Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

medal identification help

toby.one

Hi

Can anybode help me identify the two medals in the picture below please, the medals were stolen and we are left with these dress medals.

Thanks in advance

welcome - you having some teething problems ? Try a place to play first

Your two medals are:

Left: TERRITORIAL DECORATION, instituted 29 September 1908.

Awarded for 20 years commissioned service, service in the ranks counting half and war service double. It was superseded by the Efficiency Decoration in 1930, a total of 4,198 George V decorations were awarded.

Approx value George V Type, 120 - 150 GB Pounds, Full size, Minis 10-15 GB Pounds. (Page 225 Medal Yearbook 2006.)

Right: IMPERIAL YEOMANRY LONG SERVICE & GOOD CONDUCT MEDAL:

Instituted: December 1904, by Army Order Number 211.

In Silver, hence dark to black patina.

Awarded to NCOs and troopers of the Imperial Yeomanry for 10 years exemplary service. It became obsolete in 1908 when the Territorial Force was created, Nevertheless 48 medals were awarded in 1909, one in 1910, one in 1914, and one in 1917, All medals were issued with the bust of King Edward VII on the obverse.

Value: Edward VII (A) (1674) 350 GB POUNDS Full Size, and 60 - 80 GB POUNDS for the mini.

(Page 230 Medal Yearbook 2006.)

Connaught Stranger :D

PS I have corrected the service time I originally typed 30 yrs and of course its 10 yrs many thanks to "Reggiemental" for pointing it out. I tried to edit this last night May 08 2007 but server problems prevented me posting here, but I was able to access other websites and post with no problem :blink:

Hi Connaught Stranger,

Big thanks for your help, my father was very pleased with the information and we will be purchasing a copy of the book you mentioned.

We also had my Grandmothers medals stolen at the same time, there were 6 of them earned we believe in WW1 and WW2. Unfortunatle we are not sure what they might be. We think one might be Queen Alexandrias imperial nursing service medal. Do you know if there is anywhere I can findout what medals she may have received? She was in the 88th Field Ambulance and saw service in Gallipoli, Somme, Ypres, Arras, Cambrai, Lys, Bailleul, Menin and Cologne...so says her cigarette case!!

Thanks again

If you post her full name on the forum we may be able to help .

Im sorry to hear your family medals were stolen, I hope they are returned to you and the scumbag who stole them is put away. Also if you post the name of the other medal holder we can keep an eye open to see if they appear on the market. I suggest if you have nt already done so that you then take a list to all the local antique /second hand shops etc in your area. You never know they may appear. gareth

Hi Connaught Stranger,

Big thanks for your help, my father was very pleased with the information and we will be purchasing a copy of the book you mentioned.

She was in the 88th Field Ambulance and saw service in Gallipoli, Somme, Ypres, Arras, Cambrai, Lys, Bailleul, Menin and Cologne...so says her cigarette case!!

Thanks again

Hallo Toby :D

I do not believe any women in the Allied Forces actually served on the Gallipoli beach-head or inland.

As a Nurse she was probably on a land-based hospital back in Cario, or near Greece etc..etc..,

Hallo Toby :D

I do not believe any women in the Allied Forces actually served on the Gallipoli beach-head or inland.

As a Nurse she was probably on a land-based hospital back in Cario, or near Greece etc..etc..,

Were there any any on the hosptal ships? gareth

Hallo Gareth, :D

I am sure female members of the nursing corps served on hospital ships, but whether they were allowed to sail to the coast of Gallipoli, where there was danger from U-boat attack and mines I dont know, :unsure: perhaps some more knowledgeable members could fill us in.

Also with reference to the other names on the ciggerette case:

Somme, Ypres, Arras, Cambrai, Lys, Bailleul, Menin and Cologne would it have been possible for a Nurse to have been stationed at all of these locations and service in the mid-east as well between Aug 1914 and November 1918 (unless duty lasted into post WW1) :unsure:

Toby H, Perhaps it would be possible to see a picture of the ciggerette case, it sounds a very interesting item.

Connaught Stranger.

Hi all

Well my 'Lady' sailed in the Landovery Castle from Malta Embarked on the 12-4-17 Disembarked in Salonika on the 17-4-17 reported for duty 20-4-17 at the 4th C** Gen Hosp, dont suppose she was alone.

Dave.

(I think it was only 10 years service for the Yeomanry LS&GC)

Hi "Connaught Stranger"

"Somme, Ypres, Arras, Cambrai, Lys, Bailleul, Menin and Cologne would it have been possible for a Nurse to have been stationed at all of these locations and service in the mid-east as well between Aug 1914 and November 1918 (unless duty lasted into post WW1)"

Thinking about it it is unlikely that a nurse would have been anywhere near all these battles let alone Cologne , Im sure Jim or Sue will enlighten us on how likely a nurse would have been in Gallipoli, Belgium France and Germany. GAreth

The Imperial Yeomanry LSM is a scarce issue - and a Great War TD group including that would be both very desirable and uncommon. Recipient's details are needed here. If it shows up, it will be spotted - especially if the group is not split. An image of the complete miniature group would be advantageous too, so as to confirm the full size entitlement.

Hi "Connaught Stranger"

"Somme, Ypres, Arras, Cambrai, Lys, Bailleul, Menin and Cologne would it have been possible for a Nurse to have been stationed at all of these locations and service in the mid-east as well between Aug 1914 and November 1918 (unless duty lasted into post WW1)"

Thinking about it it is unlikely that a nurse would have been anywhere near all these battles let alone Cologne , Im sure Jim or Sue will enlighten us on how likely a nurse would have been in Gallipoli, Belgium France and Germany. GAreth

Hallo Gareth :D

I believe the ciggi case is a souvineer, maybe from a wounded soldier to a nurse, this is not an uncommon occurance I believe.

The Imperial Yeomanry LSM is a scarce issue - and a Great War TD group including that would be both very desirable and uncommon. Recipient's details are needed here. If it shows up, it will be spotted - especially if the group is not split. An image of the complete miniature group would be advantageous too, so as to confirm the full size entitlement.

Hi Guys, Tony is absolutely correct. This medal was instituted in 1904 and became obsolete in 1908 with the creation of the Territorial Force. That said however, and here shows how rare it actually is, in 1909 there were 48 awards: 1910- 1 award: one in 1914 and one in 1917! :o

All awards have the bust of Edward V11.

A very rare award and I sympathise with your loss and hope the bu**er gets caught and the medals returned.

Best wishes,

Womo

Hi all

Thanks very much for all your replys to my questions, they are very much appreciated.

Below should be a picture of my grandmother’s cigarette case, engraved with the battlefields I mentioned earlier. She did server on board a hospital ship for a time. Does the badge correspond to the 88th field ambulance?

Regards

Toby

post-21050-1178735846.jpg

Hi Tony

Please find attached a picture of the whole minature group, unfortunatly my father doesn't want to post my grandfathers full name on the internet (the burgalary which took place at night in his house when he was asleep upstairs, has made him very nervous) sorry. I'm trying to talk him around to publising it as the best way to stand a chance of recovering them.

Toby

post-21050-1178736532.jpg

Hi Toby

I can fully understand your fathers concerns, just Rank/Service Number and Unit would identify them without doubt

Dave.

Hallo Toby, :D

I cant help notice that on the miniture bar the British Victory Medal and the British War Medal are hung backwards!! :o

If the medals stolen were on a large bar, were they hung the same way??

It will be one point that may to help to identify them.

The ciggerette case is a beauty, but I believe its more of a commemoration piece to where the main battles were fought, rather than all the places that your Grandmother actually served.

Connaught Stranger. :D

Apart from the TD (which might also be privately engraved), all the other issues will have the details impressed on their rims - or on the reverse of the star. As a group, they will stand out. If split then not so. The naming is imperative. His Great War medals will be recorded on his MIC (online), his TD in the London Gazette (also available online). I have the roll for the IY LSM. PM me the details if you like, but the naming is vital - even if it enables the recovery of just one medal from a split group. Be quick though. Expediency is of the essence.

I have taken the initiative and placed a warning on the stolen group on the British Medal Forum pending further details: recipients' details and (ideally) a 'rough idea' of whereabouts they went missing from.