Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial Force NCOs - 60 Division

Charles Fair

I recently found this in a 'Statement for Feb 1915' in WO 95/3026, the 60th Division A&Q file.

It is an interesting comment on the quality of NCOs in a second line TF division. The transcription is:

"Reduction of NCO by GOC

Provision of Army Act Sec 183 para 2 might be made more use of, especially in embodied Territorial Units. Many Territorial NCOs were just capable of performing their duties during peace time, but when embodied have been found to be incapable. Reduction under that section of the Army Act ..... the stain which a ..... by Court Martial is bound to leave.”

However there are two words represented by ..... that I just cannot make out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

Charles

post-2-1072056634.jpg

I am quite sure it reads "Reduction under that section of the Army Act avoids the stain a conviction by Court-Martial might leave." Regards. Dick Flory

Actually I left a few words out of the orginal statement: "Reduction under that section of the Army Act avoids the stain a conviction by Court-Martial is bound to leave." Regards. Dick Flory

Dick, very many thanks. It seems so obvious now that you have deciphered it, d'oh! :( Well, it was the end of a long day at the PRO and my brain had turned to jelly. :ph34r:

regards

Charles

Interesting point. The quality of second and third line TF NCOs must have been mixed, to say the least. I presume we would come across incidences of court martial for particular acts of negligence; it seems a blunt instrument to use in cases where the NCO is fitted by neither temperament nor training for the almost unimaginable stresses of the post.

Glad to see the digital camera saves the day once again!

S