Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tidings of some discomfort, but great joy!

Tom Morgan

This field postcard was written 21.12.14 and passed through an Army Post Office on 24.12.14. It's from "William" to Mrs. Shaw, Union Street, Stockport.

William was wounded and in hospital but out of it for the time being and possibly on his way home for Christmas - the best place to be.

I hope William made it, and send my own best wishes to all Forum members.

Tom

post-8-1072016539.jpg

Tom

Let's hope that 'William' did too!!

Tom

Let's hope that 'William' did too!!

"Well done, Pike, I wondered how long it would be before someone spotted that."

Explanation to newcomers to the thread - my original post named the soldier as "Walter" when he had signed himself "William." Thanks Chris for pointing it out.

Been waiting all year to post that picture, too! brick.gif

Tom

I hope he made it as well. But I fear he may not have.

The main town war memorial (at our art gallery) lists a W Shaw who served with the Manchesters. A quick look at SDGW shows two Mancs called William Shaw.

One was born in Stockport . This is Pte W Shaw who served with the 2nd Bn and was killed on 1/7/16 and is buried at Blighty Valley Cemetery. His number is 1848 which is entirely consistent with him being a regular or reservist and, therefore, serving in 1914. He was listed as living in Worcester but was Mum still living in Stockport? Did he recover at home and then return to the front in time for the opening of the Somme? I hope he had a good Xmas. I'll have a thought him (whether it's the right guy or not) when I'm next in the art gallery.

John

• 3 weeks later...

It seems William made it through whatever had befallen him at Xmas 1914, but he is indeed the W Shaw I mention in my last post.

The Stockport Advertiser, in its edition of 28 July 1916 reprts that "Private William Shaw of the Manchester Regiment was killed in action on 1st July. He was 25 years of age and was a regular soldier, having been in the Army for about seven years. He leaves a widow, who resides at 33 Union Street, Stockport."

This is him

post-8-1073403970.jpg

I am really saddened by this piece of news (even though it's 90 years old). Mrs Shaw probably turns out to be his wife , who received a telegram in 1916 rather than another field postcard. What a pity 1914 didn't give him a blighty.

Me too. I have had this Field Service Postcard for some years, and I've always looked at it at Christmas and had warm, cosy-glow thoughts about going home, being at home for Christmas, "no more to roam" and so on.

Ah well. Thank you John, for the research. The card is now too important to part with, and I'll be off to Blighty Valley next chance I get, which will be in about four weeks from now.

Tom

Tom,

Please give William my regards when you visit Blighty Valley. I've got several "friends" there and William is added to them. God Bless him. I think we can safely say William "did his bit".

Regards Ian