Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Service Tribunal, Sussex

johngasson

Hi,

Although this is my first post to the forum I have already learnt so much from what has already been posted on other topics.

I am trying to find out more about my great grandfather Henry John Trower of Sayers Common, Sussex, who I believe was exempt from military service.

I have tracked down a report in the Sussex Daily News (7 July 1916) which refers to the Cuckfield Rural Tribunal and a group of mill workers being exempt "on condition the men joined the Volunteers". I believe my great grandfather was one of these men.

I understand that I am unlikely to find any more details about the tribunal, but my question is who were the "Volunteers" refered to and what sort of records are likely to have survived?

Thanks in advance for any information and advice

John

• 2 weeks later...

John,

The Volunteers were the Volunteer Training Corps at this time - a sort of WW1 Home Guard. Formed in 1914 and locally raised and funded. In 1916 they were taken over by the Territorial Associations and then became Volunteer Regiments and in 1918 Volunteer Battalions of the County Regiments. Search the Forum for VTC and you will find a lot of info.

It wasn't unusual that this attendance clause was invoked. By 1918, I doubt being a Mill Worker would give you an exemption, so it is probable that unless your Great Grandfather was over 50 he must have had a medical exemption.

Good hunting.

Dave

Thanks Dave for the information,

My great-grandmother died in June 1916, leaving my great-grandfather with two daughters, one aged 4 and the other two months. Would this have been grounds enough for exemption?

John

John

The Tribunal's were allowed to take family circumstances into account when hearing pleas for some form of exemption.

Terry Reeves

Thanks Terry

So really it sounds as if I should be looking for a later Tribunal, when his case would have been heard individually on it's own merits.

Did the Military Service Acts lay down any guidelines for single fathers etc? Does anyone have copies of the relevant parts of the Acts?

John

John,

It is my understanding that the Tribunals were pretty autonomous in their actions, consisting as they did of local worthies and a Military Representative.

There is interesting coverage of the volunteers and conscription in Charles Messenger's "Call to Arms", which was published a couple of years ago.

Dave

John

Get hold of a copy of "Conscience and Politics" by Joh Rae which is easily available second hand. Although it is primarily about conscientious objection in WW1, it takes you through , in some detail, the Military Service Act and the tribunal system. In the circumstances you describe, it is quite possible that he was given a qualified exemption. The MST's operated under the aegis of the Local Government Board but each tribunal often interpreted the requirements of the act in their own way, often according to local conditions ie rural or urban, industrial or agricultural, which would shape the experience and ideas of the tribunal members.

Terry Reeves

Thanks Dave and Terry,

I shall add your recommendations to my shopping list!

John