Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment

Sue Light

I have on loan at present:

'The History of the Seventh [service] Battalion, The Royal Sussex Regiment, 1914-1919.' Published in 1934, and I don't think ever re-printed.

It's a good, detailed history, with quite a few mentions of other ranks as well as officers. Happy to do look ups.

Sue

Curses!

I was halfway through a reply to your thread, Sue, offering to have your babies if you could look up a Pte Charles George Cooper of the 7th (Service) Bn, someone I'm researching for a friend who unfortunately is without a service record at the NA, when I realised it was the SUSSEX rather than BERKSHIRE regimental history you have on loan.

Guess I'll have to put the booties away :(

Gary

I was halfway through a reply to your thread, Sue, offering to have your babies if you could look up a Pte Charles George Cooper of the 7th (Service) Bn,

Crikey Gary - that makes two of us as sick as parrots - it sounded like the best offer I've had in the last ten years! :lol:

And it's an enjoyable history - one of the Lancing men who's a bit of a mystery to me, Tom Scutt, gets this mention - such a good visual image that it says more about him than all my research:

"Sergeant-Major Hanlon also contributes a reminiscence of the 'Lilliputians,' a section of men in 13 Platoon, small in stature, but great in heart:-

'The Lilliputians had a bad time that day, for although hot food was available in the village, few managed to get any. However, they did manage to produce some tea by the aid of four candles and little pieces of wood. I can see them even now, Corporal W. Baker, Lance-Corporal E. Stoner and Private T. Scutt, huddled up in a small shelter, with an old sheet to keep the light from showing. I doubt if the dixie ever boiled, but I have never tasted better tea since.' "

Paul - great to hear about the reprint - I shall be at the head of the queue - the second hand copies about are a bit out of my price range.

Regards - Sue

"Sergeant-Major Hanlon also contributes a reminiscence of the 'Lilliputians,' a section of men in 13 Platoon, small in stature, but great in heart:-

'The Lilliputians had a bad time that day, for although hot food was available in the village, few managed to get any.  However, they did manage to produce some tea by the aid of four candles and little pieces of wood.  I can see them even now, Corporal W. Baker, Lance-Corporal E. Stoner and Private T. Scutt, huddled up in a small shelter, with an old sheet to keep the light from showing.  I doubt if the dixie ever boiled, but I have never tasted better tea since.' "

Hi Sue,

I think your extract encapsulates one of the reasons why The Great War continues to hold my fascination. Men, amongst them farmers and labourers from Kent and Sussex villages, most of whom had no previous desire to serve in the military, enduring unimaginable hardships but resourcefully making the best of the situation in which they found themselves and enjoying a cameradie that few of us will ever know.

Gary

• 2 months later...
Guest gen_wizard

Hi Sue,

Do you still have the book? If you do can you look and see if there is any mention of the name Lelliott/Lelliot in it for me. I'm just trying to find out if any of my great grandfathers brothers fought during the war. His father was in the Sussex militia until he retired.

Many thanks

Mike