Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA in Egypt

kildaremark

Has anyone a list of the RGA units that served in both Egypt and the Western Front in particular anyone that would have gone to the Western Front and transferred to Egpyt later in the war or even 1919 - if that happened at all.

Thanks

Mark

Mark

The following batteries seem to fit the bill:

14 Siege went out to Dardanelles 1915 to Egypt Jan 1916 to WF April 1916

17 Siege went out to Dardanelles July 1915 to Egypt Jan 1916 To WF April 1916

37 Siege went out to Egypt Dec 1915 to WF April 1916

38 Siege Ditto

42 Siege went out to Dardanelles july 1915 to WF April 1916

48 Siege went out to Egypt Jan 1916 to WF April 1916

90 Heavy went out to Dardanelles June 1915 to Egypt Jan 1916 to WF April 1916

25 Heavy to Egypt Jan 1916 to WF April 1916

130 Heavy to Egypt Feb 1916 to WF April 1916

I can't find any that went to WF and then to Egypt, it makes sense to be the other way round.

The battery diaries may indicate ORs transferring out to form Trench Mortar Batteries. I'd look around June/July'17.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart,

Would any of these be big enough to be classed as super heavies - 9.2in or 12 in?

On the 42 Siege Battery, the 133 S.B. got half of their men in October 1917 and took with them their 'sign of the three pyramids' to replace their chessman logo - interesting that some units had logos.

Mark

Mark

All of the Siege batteries were armed with 6" howitzers with the exception of 48 Siege who were armed with 9.2 Howitzers, a 3 piece 15 ton bit of kit.

I wonder if a trawl through SDGW for 48 Siege would reveal numbers similar to your Gfs.?

I've not seen or read mention of battery logos before, battery code names and numbers during their time with a particular Brigade, but not logos.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart,

The note about logos comes from the History of the 133 Siege Battery - the 133 S.B. took over the 6 lorries and guns of 42 Siege Battery which had three pyramids painted on them. Obviously thought better of removing them!

Mark!

• 3 years later...
Guest David Britton

Thanks Stuart,

The note about logos comes from the History of the 133 Siege Battery - the 133 S.B. took over the 6 lorries and guns of 42 Siege Battery which had three pyramids painted on them. Obviously thought better of removing them!

Mark!

Dear Mark,

My grandfather, Gunner John Clarke Stott, 76999 RGA, was a Great War survivor who served with 133 Siege Battery on the western front, as far as I know, until the end of the war.

The only information I have been able to obtain about 133 Siege Battery RGA is the war diary for April 1917 from the National Archives. I would very much like to know where I might be able to consult or obtain a copy of the "History of the 133 Siege Battery" referred to in your post.

Regards,

David