Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Cressy

hzibell

I'm wondering if some one can help. There is a family story that one of the sons of William Braddock who immigrated to Australia returned to England and drowned when the HMS Cressy was sunk. We think he was a merchant sailor before WW1 we think he is Arthur Braddock.

Do you know where I can see the crew list for the Cressy and where were they memorialised.

Any help appreciated.

Heather

I'm wondering if some one can help. There is a family story that one of the sons of William Braddock who immigrated to Australia returned to England and drowned when the HMS Cressy was sunk. We think he was a merchant sailor before WW1 we think he is Arthur Braddock.

Do you know where I can see the crew list for the Cressy and where were they memorialised.

Any help appreciated.

Heather

Hallo Heather.

I ran a post on this incident when the German submarine U9 sank three cruiser's within about an hour

HMS Aboukir, Cressy and Hoge. My relative whent down with HMS Hogue.

My post is near the bottom of the page that your post is on. Mine was started on March 24 at 9.55 pm entitled,

Lost at sea, Sunk 22 September 1914.

You might find it interesting. I had a great deal of valuable help.

Any mention of the Cressy catches my eye. The RNVR depot in Dundee, went under the name of HMS Cressy for many years. A wooden frigate of Napoleonic vintage, she was originally the Unicorn. A modern ship was launched and christened " Unicorn" so she was recommissioned as the Cressy.When the Unicorn was decommissioned after WW2, Unicorn was given her name back. She can be visited in Dundee were she is being refurbished.

As for a crew list, you could approach CWGC or attempt to compile your own from 'Cross of Sacrifice'. I have never found the latter to be particularly reliable, myself.

The Kew ADM file is in 1/8396/356 and I believe it contains a nominal list for Hogue so there may be one for Cressy

Any help appreciated.

Heather

Hello Heather

Crew list for Cressy here http://www.clarke-rowland.freeserve.co.uk/CressyRoll.htm

Regards John

He was probably a pre war Merchant Navy officer. He was a wartime Royal Naval Reserve Officer.

A summery of his RNR service is at kew in ADM 240, there is probably a service card for him in ADM 340 and possible service documents also in ADM 340, both of the latter are in alphabetical order. One of those should give a hint to his pre war service.

The National Archives has a research sheet on Merchant Seamen: Officers' Service Records 1845-1965

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...?sLeafletID=131

He was probably a pre war Merchant Navy officer. He was a wartime Royal Naval Reserve Officer.

A summery of his RNR service is at kew in ADM 240, there is probably a service card for him in ADM 340 and possible service documents also in ADM 340, both of the latter are in alphabetical order. One of those should give a hint to his pre war service.

Yhe National Archives has a research sheet on Merchant Seamen: Officers' Service Records 1845-1965

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...?sLeafletID=131

Thanks Per ardua per mare per terram, I have found Arthur on the Simla Hospital ship in 1901 as a writer. These aren't on line are they? What's the easiest way to see them?

Thanks Heather

There were also lists printed in the 'Navy List.'

None of these records are online. The only officer service records I know of online are in the Royal Naval Division records.

Heather,

A bit of background to 'Assistant Paymaster RNR'

By an Order in Council of Mar. 7, 1904, the Accountant Branch of the Royal Naval Reserve was established on a permanent basis. Provision had been made in the summer of 1894 for the entry of temporary assistant paymasters in time of war, and ever since then it had been argued that a sound naval training was necessary for them to be really useful. Permission granted for a lucky few to serve in the fleet in mufti had produced gratifying results. It was laid down that the new branch should consist of a maximum of 200 Assistant Paymasters, to rank with but after their opposite numbers in the regular Navy. They were to be entered as Acting Assistant Paymasters, principally from gentlemen employed in banks or in accountants' and insurance offices who would undertake to undergo training in evening classes and to go afloat up to a limit of one month a year. When under training their pay was to be 10/- a day with reasonable travelling expenses, but when called up for service they were to receive, an equipment allowance of £30, 10s a day pay, and the advantages of the general regulations as to charge pay. Compensation for injuries, widows' pensions and the like were to be under the regulation and on the scales applicable to Assistant Paymasters, R.N., of six years' seniority. After the age of thirty-five voluntary retirement was to be permitted at the discretion of the Admiralty, but officers who were physically unfit before they had completed ten years' service might be called upon to resign their commissions, while the compulsory age of retirement was to be forty. Officers placed on the retired list were to be granted a step in rank at the discretion of the Admiralty, but there was no provision for higher rank while on the active list.

It was not until December 1912, that orders were issued, by the Admiralty which permitted R.N.R. accountant officers to go to sea for service during the annual manoeuvres or on special occasions, in addition to their ordinary training laid down in the regulations. This order was a very welcome one to the accountant branch, which had been fighting its way up into a fine state of efficiency in spite of rather discouraging regulations.

Regards Charles

I have found Arthur on the Simla Hospital ship in 1901 as a writer

I doubt that would have qualified him for the Transport Medal, but Hospital ship Simla did qualify.