Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captured SE-5a

Trenchrat

Hi,

Recently I acquired an interesting photo postcard. It shows eight German soldiers around an SE-5a fighter. According to the German soldier who sent the photo, the plane landed behind German lines on September 15, 1917, due to engine problems. I would like to find out the squadron to which the plane belonged and the identity of its' pilot. The German soldier identified the pilot as a Lieutenant Herrmond. I believe the pilot's last name was Hammond and the German soldier simply misspelled it. Still any help in the identification of the plane's squadron or the identity of her pilot, would be most appreciated.

Hi,

Recently I acquired an interesting photo postcard. It shows eight German soldiers around an SE-5a fighter. According to the German soldier who sent the photo, the plane landed behind German lines on September 15, 1917, due to engine problems. I would like to find out the squadron to which the plane belonged and the identity of its' pilot. The German soldier identified the pilot as a Lieutenant Herrmond. I believe the pilot's last name was Hammond and the German soldier simply misspelled it. Still any help in the identification of the plane's squadron or the identity of her pilot, would be most appreciated.

There is a 2nd Lieutenant J J Hammond listed with the Special Reserve, Military Wing, RFC in January 1915

Mark

post-14045-1178246870.jpg

A8918 was an SE 5 (not the better known SE 5a) that served with No 56 Sqn RFC from 31 May 1917 before being transferred to No 60 Sqn on 21 August. On 5 September Lt J Compton claimed an Albatros D.V out of control over Sailly-en-Ostrevant - shared with Lt S B Horn in A8936. On 14 September 2Lt H T Hammond failed to return from an Offensive Patrol after leaving Ste-Marie-Cappel aerodrome at 1510. A8918 was hit by anti-aircraft fire and forced to land near Menin; 2Lt Hammond was taken PoW.

I hope this helps you.

Gareth

Hi Gareth and Mark,

Thanks for your help. It answered about all my questions. Is Lt. Hammond's first name known? Did Lt. Hammond have any victories prior to being captured? Too bad he isn't shown in the photo, but I guess he had already been taken away.

John

I can't find mention of 2Lt H T Hammond in reference books, other than the circumstances of his capture. It looks like he may have still been a fairly new pilot in September 1917, perhaps one of those who arrived at their squadron and then were lost almost before they could unpack.

Regards

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Thanks a lot for your help. I'm sure that you're right about Hammond being a new pilot. Still it's an interesting image.

There is a Henry Talbot Hammond listed as getting his pilots certificate in May 1917 which seems to fit your man here.

Patrick