Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching naval personnel at PRO

stevehowarth

Hi

I intend to go the PRO shortly, with a view to researching naval personnel connected to a school war memorial - particularly AS Harry Brooks who died of influenza in October 1918.

What should I expect? Have all naval personal files survived, or have some been destroyed? What sort of details do files contain. What's the the most efficient route to locating files?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

All the Naval attestation papers are at the PRO on fische except some of those relating to the RND, which are with the Air Arm museum.

You will need his service number to locate the appropriate record. Also suggest if thsi is yr first time at the PRO/NA, you look at their website and find out what proof of identity etc you need to take.

The attestation papers themselves do not contain much personal details, date and place of birth and physical appearance at entry of service (and if boy service, physical appearance again at aged 18), together with records of all ships and shore establishments served on.

Happy hunting.

Steve

I presume you mean AB Harry Slater Brooks of HMS Armadale Castle. He's the only matelot called Harry Brooks who died in October 1918. His service number was J58684 and he is remembered on the Chatham Naval Memorial. As the memorial is for those that have no known grave, I'm guessing that he must have been buried at sea. Its worth checking the Armadale Castle's log for October 1918 in ADM 53/34167 to see if he is mentioned. Ships logs are original documents and can be viewed in the Reading Room. Copies can be taken with your digital camera or the self service copying service at 30p per sheet.

His service record will be easy to find. Look for the microfilm roll ADM 188 / 764 which covers the range of numbers J58501 to J59000. Copies can be taken on the microfilm printers at 20p per sheet with a copying card (there will be only 1 sheet).

Be prepared to throw about 60p away to get a decent print.

With a service number like his, I reckon he joined up in 1916 so there should be a few ships to his name.

This might sound a bit daunting if you've never been to the PRO before but the place is very user friendly and the staff are helpful. If one of us are there we'll show you the ropes.

Let us know how you get on

Michael

Hi

Just a quick thanks to Signals and Michael. I'm going to the PRO on 3 January, and I feel a load more confident on getting a result on the naval records.

Thanks again. Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Steve

All the Naval attestation papers are at the PRO on fische except some of those relating to the RND, which are with the Air Arm museum.

Hi

I have found that papers on some RMLI personnel are also located at the Fleet Air Arm Museum, which is where my granddad's attestation papers and service conduct sheets were found.

Hope you find what you are looking for. I myself am hoping to visit the PRO for the first time next year :o

Regards

Dee