Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

AAS Shoulder title

Grovetown

In an earlier thread by Martin Felstead in Units, reference has been made to Anti-Aircraft Searchlights of the RE, and their slip-on title is shown in a very nice picture.

Here illustrated is an AAS title.

Reading around though, I note that the RE had Anti-Aircraft Sections; as did the RFA and RGA - and even possibly the ASC.

Can anyone offer a definitive answer as to whether this title is Section (be it RE, RFA, RGA or ASC) or Searchlights?

Thanks in anticipation.

Best wishes,

GT.

post-1207-1178019295.jpg

The book on the Tyne Electrical Engineers, as two chapters on Anti-Aircraft Searchlight units. 'The History of the Tyne Electrical Engineers, Royal Engineers 1884-1933 Book 1 (published 1935). Book 2 is the same but 1934-1984(published 1984).

Grovetown

The proper nomenclenture was Anti-Aircraft Searchlight Section, but I guess that the abbreviation is an abbreviation of an abbreviation. RE AA Searchlight sections served at home and with the BEF. I have a list of all the searchlight sections, and also Field Searchlight companies including which formations they were serving with in France and Flanders.

TR

Grovetown

The proper nomenclenture was Anti-Aircraft Searchlight Section, but I guess that the abbreviation is an abbreviation of an abbreviation. RE AA Searchlight sections served at home and with the BEF. I have a list of all the searchlight sections, and also Field Searchlight companies including which formations they were serving with in France and Flanders.

TR

Thanks Terry - most interesting.

The RE themselves could be a tad more specific, from the information on this web page:

RE Museum Page

This suggests that:

1. Anti-Aircraft Companies - Home

2. Anti-Aircraft Sections - Overseas/ BEF

3. Searchlight Companies - Home

4. Aeroplane Squadron Searchlight Sections - Home

From Martin Felstead's image of an AAS guy (AAS image), and his MIC (served overseas); I was beginning to think that AAS could only be Anti-Aircraft Sections, and that Searchlights was a popular misconception/ collector's fiction.

Best wishes,

GT.

GT,

I'm afraid the title "Anti-Aircraft Searchlight Sections, Royal Engineers" is the correct term according to the Tyne Electrical Engineers History and not purely "A.A. Sections". The bulk of all A.A.S.S. were supplied by the Tyne Electrical Engineers(T.F.) and London Electrical Engineers(T.F.) for foreign service between 1915 & 1918 and a list of some seventy seven A.A.S.S. are named in the History of the Tyne Electrical Engineers along with names of officers.

The home defence units are described in the T.E.E. History as intially as "A.A. Searchlight Companies, R.E.(T.F.), but later become "A.A. Companies". Throughout the book the term "Anti-Aircraft Searchlight" is frequently used to differentiate between these searchlight and the anti-aircraft gunners.

The photo seen on the recent post actually had the "A.A.S." cloth shoulder title sewn below the seam of the upper arm, sadly it's been lost in the re-vamp.

Frederick's book "Lineage of the British Army 1660-1978" also gives a detailed list of the "Anti-Aircraft Companies, R.G.A." and ACI 1287 of 29/6/1916 which laid down the establishment of these units both at home and abroad.

Graham.

Thanks Graham (and Terry) - all confusion cleared. Much appreciated, and I'm pleased to have what I assume is a rare title.

The photo seen on the recent post actually had the "A.A.S." cloth shoulder title sewn below the seam of the upper arm, sadly it's been lost in the re-vamp.

It's back!!

Best wishes,

GT.

;)

Grove,

...........there was also a metal and cloth badge with the letters AAS in a wreath too which was worn on the upper right arm!

tim

;)

Grove,

...........there was also a metal and cloth badge with the letters AAS in a wreath too which was worn on the upper right arm!

tim

Thanks Tim - Grumpy describes this in his and Edwards' book as being on their 'Unauthenticated, Unidentified or Unofficial' list. Assuming it's not unidentified or unauthernticated, it must be unofficial - and it would be nice to see a photo of it being worn, as it was known to be on sale commercially in 1917.

Best wishes,

GT.