Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bishop's Stortford

ndickson

I seem to remember reading, years ago, that there was a training camp here...can anyone give me more information please. My grandfather was married here in 1915, in uniform and his fellow officers held up their swords for the happy couple to walk under. There appeared to be only army personnel at the wedding,, I'd love to know more,

thanks,

Natalie

hello natalie how about posting the wedding photo we would all like to see it ,tom

Hi Tom,

when I have worked out how to post a photo I'll do that...

Natalie

Here are a couple of photos.....I'd love to hear your comments...does anyone have any idea of the regiment? Or perhaps someone recognises a relative....that would be great!

Thanks

Natalie

post-20887-1177958154.jpg

post-20887-1177958208.jpg

My poor grandmother, she was one of ten, a very close family.....but here she is all on her own on her wedding day - the other lady must have been a commanding officer's wife I think....any ideas why none of her sisters were there, perhaps it was a matter of the cost of travelling in wartime, they all lived in London.

Natalie

Can't help with any unit identification. All I can say is that they are not officers but members of the ranks, (privates, lance corporals etc). Instead of forming an arch of swords these lads are holding aloft their bayonets and the uniforms and badges of rank are all belong to other ranks.

Greg

Thanks Greg.....just shows how ignorant I am!!! am grateful for your remarks, never given it much thought til recently I have to say, but that would perhaps fit in with Bishops Stortford being some sort of training camp?

Natalie

thanks for posting the photos natalie we all like to see old pictures yes they are bayonets .can you put your granddads full name up somone may find his regiment and then were he was camped .tom from hoddesdon

Natalie.

Elements of the Leicestershire Regiment were certainly in Bishop Stortford during the war. The 1/4th Bn seem to have been there a while.

This link to a local history site may be of interest, it even mentions a wedding in Sawbridgeworth (which is just down the road) but sadly not your man I think as the man involved was an officer.

Neil

Natalie.

It might also be worth starting another thread under the Soldiers section headed 'Unit identification - help required' (or something similar) as it may get more people who know about these things to look at it.

Good luck.

Neil

Thank you Neil and Tom,

I did post a thread on soldiers but got no replies!! so did this one. The Bishops Stortford history is interesting as it shows there must have been quite a large transit camp in Bishops Stortford.

His name was Henry William Kirwood, at the end of the war he was a Lt in the Suffolk Reserve Garrison and someone is kindly going to tell me about them.

However he wasn't drafted into that regt until 1917 and I know he was a soldier before that (1915 photo) also that he was wounded, as I have a photo of the hospital. His MIC told me nothing, I have asked for an estimate for some copies of papers from the National Archives as he is mentioned in their catalogue, and it looks as though I shall have to also fork out and get a copy of his marriage certificate, which might tell me his unit at time of marriage, but can't afford that at the mo, and anyway it is some of the background history that I am interested in, so many thanks for your help, I shall probably post another plea on soldiers when I have a little more time after the holidays!

Absolutely great forum, so interesting and thanks for the replies

Natalie

Guest geoff501
I did post a thread on soldiers but got no replies!! so did this one. The Bishops Stortford history is interesting as it shows there must have been quite a large transit camp in Bishops Stortford.

Bishops Stortford was the 60th Divisional headquarters from May 1915, so quite a lot of activity around there I would guess.

I have a photo of the 2/17th Londons (thanks Russ!) and the photographers address is Bishops Stortford.