Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

messines

rustynath

does anyone know where the 12th royal fusiliers were in battle of messines? my great grandad was wounded here so any maps or information regaurding the location of the 12th royal fusiliers in this battle would be good. thanks

17th Brigade were given the task of following up after the initial advance of early morning 7th June 1917. They overnighted at Dickebush Lake on the 16th/17th, and moved up into jump-off positions opposite Dammstrasse in the morning. 17 Bde's area was from Oostavernena to about Ravine Wood. They (with 73 Bde 24 Div on their left) attacked at 1510, and found little resistance while taking Bug and Rose Woods, taking the Oostaverne line with barely a shot fired. The two leading battalions of 17th Bde had a total of six casualties between them over an average advance of 800 yds down the slope of the Roozebeek valley (this latter sentence taken from Passingham's "Pillars of Fire").

Now which of the two 17th battalions were in the advance that day, and which were in support or reserve, I've been unable to find out at the moment, but the other candidates are 8 Buffs, 1 Royal Fusiliers and 3 Rifle Bde.

Not in the OH.

Conan Doyle's 1917's got it "So close to the barrage was the advance of the infantry, that the men of the 1st Royal Fusiliers and 3rd Rifle Bde, who led the 17th Brigade, declared that they had the dust of it in their faces all the way."

So 12RF were in support or reserve for this advance. Brigade and battalion war diaries may clarify the situation.

24th Div were in the line around Lens by 14/15th june.

thanks for that.

ive been told that the 12th rf suffered badly here, does anyone else know anything or have a map of the area?

M'm Soldiers Died doesn't quite agree. It records one killed on the 8th, one on the 9th and 7 on the 10th, a total of 42 over the whole month (the one on the 8th was the first casualty in June 1917).

M'm Soldiers Died doesn't quite agree. It records one killed on the 8th, one on the 9th and 7 on the 10th, a total of 42 over the whole month (the one on the 8th was the first casualty in June 1917).

kk thanks, is that a book; "M'm soldiers died"?

"Soldiers Died in the Great War" is available both in book form (some 80 parts iirc) and as a CD-ROM. A number of Pals have the CD-ROM and will do look-ups on the forum.

Think this is the one you want.

They must have been close to my Battalion 9th Sherwood Foresters, 33rd brigade, 11th Div attached to the Irish Div.

These battalions attacked in the aftrenoon and then held the line. Casualties were very light.

stevem

Think this is the one you want.

They must have been close to my Battalion 9th Sherwood Foresters, 33rd brigade, 11th Div attached to the Irish Div.

These battalions attacked in the aftrenoon and then held the line. Casualties were very light.

stevem

thanks, could you please email me a full size image of that? or is that the biggest you have? not_me.here@yahoo.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...