Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying Ship.

aley

Following image was taken by my Grandfather. He served in the Australian Light Horse in Egypt, Sinai, Palestine. While he first arrived in Egypt in march of 1915 all surving images and negs that i have identified are from mid to late 1916 to late 1917.

Now my query, i know nothing about ships - can anyone offer some opinions regarding the following image. I would hazard a guess and say the location is Suez? Is it flying a french flag?

post-19318-1177802609.jpg

Cheers, David.

David, the flag definately looks to be French ie blue, white, red (from mast). Sorry, not good at vessel recognition.

Best wishes

David

David, the flag definately looks to be French ie blue, white, red (from mast). Sorry, not good at vessel recognition.

Best wishes

David

But at the same time, it could be Italian!

Requin dated from 1885 but as Michael has correctly pointed out above, she was rebuilt in 1901-3

7214 tons, complement 332, length 324.4 feet, beam 73 ft, mean draught 23 ft

guns: 2 - 10.8 inch (40 cal), 8 - 3.9 inch, and 12 smaller

She was a described as a Coastal Defence Ship and spent some time in the Suez area

When the Turks were expected to attack the canal in Jan 1915 the defence arrangements meant that heavy artillery was supplied by the navy under Vice-Admiral Peirse. His command included the French ship Requin "for whom a special berth had been dredged in Lake Timsah east of the canal channel." Here on Feb 3rd 1915, her forward 10.8" was used to silence the Turkish artillery which had earlier damaged RIMS Hardinge.

Requin was active again in March 1915 but I do not yet have later details for 1916-17 [books are ordered but not arrived yet :huh: ]

Thankyou all for your replies, much appreciated, interested to learn more.

Michael and/or michael could you point me in the direction of an image/s of the Requin for this period?

quote: "Michael...could you point me in the direction of an image/s of the Requin for this period?"

This is the Requin as shown in 'Jane's Fighting ships of World WarI'

Requin-1.jpg

REQUIN. In 1913 she was in reserve at Bizerta. In October 1914 she was recommisioned and rated as formerly 'garde-cotes cuirasse' and sailed for Egypt. In December she shelled, near Alexandretta, the railway which supplied the Turkish forces preparing an attack on the Suez Canal. In January 1915 she cast anchor in the Timsah Lake along with the cruiser D'ENTRECASTEAUX and the RIM ship HARDINGE and with accurate fire, forced the enemy to withdraw and the Canal was safeguarded.

From 1916 to 1918 she took part in the operations along the coast of Syria supporting the left of the Allied Offensive before Suza in spite of an enemy submarine which torpedoed her without success (UC.74 on April 19th, 1917). She was paid off in 1919, striken Febuary 2nd, 1920 and scrapped in 1922. She was awarded the 'Croix de Guerre pennant.

post-166-1177858238.jpg

'French Warships of WW1, Jean Labayle Couhat'

Regards John

Ray, Michael and John, cheers! I didn't feel particularly confident in tracking that one down. Saved me a lot of time. Thanks again. David.