Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt Moore Eaves - Royal Scots

pandabean

I found a marriage certificate today for one of my great great aunts and it seems she married a soldier. He survived the war as he went back to being a gardener and signed my great great aunt's death certificate in 1945. The marriage took place in Gifford in Haddingtonshire in 1915, Moore states that he is from Antrim, Ireland.

I have had a look on NA for Eaves, Eves, Moore & Royal Scots, even Seargent Moore. I have no luck in finding his MIC. Can someone help with this? Would it be the case that he was in a territorial unit and never saw any action?

These are his details on the certificate in 1915:

Seargent Moore Eaves

3/8 or 2/8 Royal Scots

Thanks,

Andy

8th Royal scots did go to France - 5/11/14

but some one had to stay and train the troops - Ive seen a few squad picture of coldstreamer cpls / sgts and cant see MIC for them

Is there any other way to check if he did go to France or whether he stayed? If he did stay to train troops would it then be likely he would show up in photos from training?

Thanks,

Andy

If he served with 3/8 Royal Scots he was probably stationed at home during the war, I have a picture of 3/8th on a recruting drive in Midlothian in 1915 but can't post it unfortunately , however it is on my website , here's the link3/8th Royal Scots in Loanhead