The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fleet Air Arm Museum Archive

tootrock

I submit this because it might be a helpful to those searching for RM ancestors. I am somewhat unsure as to which heading it should come under, so I have picked on this one!

My great-uncle enlisted in the Royal Marine Engineers in October 1914. He served until February 1917 when the RM Engineers were transferred to the Royal Engineers, and ultimately he was transferred to the ASC where he made use of his civilian skills as a Motor Mechanic. All this I know from his papers which survive at the NA.

I recently noticed on the Fleet Air Arm Museum website that papers relating to men who served in the Royal Marine Engineers (amongst others) were kept in the museum at Yeovilton. I contacted them and arranged to view their records, expecting to draw a blank, but they had a file on my great-uncle containing a document entitled "Application to be enrolled in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve", which I had not seen before. Throughout the 3 page document "Volunteer Reserve" was crossed out and "Division" pencilled in.

The document had personal details, basic medical details, and an undertaking signed by the applicant. This document was dated the same day as his NA attestation paper, so seems to be rather a formality.

Also in his file was a card outlining his service until transfer to the RE, giving details of embarkations, hospitalisations, leave(!), etc.

The FAAM museum website suggests that there might be a long wait if you ask them to do anything, but when I suggested a personal visit (I was going to be in the area on holiday) it was all arranged within a week or so, and the staff were most helpful.

The Museum is interesting in its own right.

Hope this may be of some use to somebody!

Regards,

Martin