Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Narrow gauge railways at Ypres

kebabking

i have a copy of the book "light railways in the great war" but perhaps more interestingly i purchased a trench map 1/20000 trenches corrected to 30/06/17 with extensive annotations showing a light railway system from Poperinghe through Ypres and out to the salient,all named , EG bedlington line, ,forest hill line,gibraltar farm, vinery junction, garden villas, barrack junction {in Ypres} etc etc

best regards John

i have a copy of the book "light railways in the great war" but perhaps more interestingly i purchased a trench map 1/20000 trenches corrected to 30/06/17 with extensive annotations showing a light railway system from Poperinghe through Ypres and out to the salient,all named , EG bedlington line, ,forest hill line,gibraltar farm, vinery junction, garden villas, barrack junction {in Ypres} etc etc

best regards John

John

I was thinking of more late17 early 18

Davies says zenith of light railways just prior to Mar 18 745 miles of track carrying 186,750 tons a week (whole front)

What I intend to do is pick a date (When most information is available and not yet determined) draw the skeleton of the area ,the railway net work, and colour in the flesh of the support units.What interests me is not the front but the back up,Ammo dumps,bakeries,mule stabling,any thing to support the front line.Its the simple things like water for instance,how was it supplied to what was a virtual small city,with all the destruction and interruptions.I believe by 17/18 it was the railways that tied everything together.

I am not sure exactly how wide to cast the net and at the moment I am trying to gain as much info before going to IWM who I have already spoken to ,who seem to think its feasable.Any links to the trivia of salient would be very welcome.

although the map is dated 30/6/17 the railway lines are shown going through the german front line so it can be assumed the actual annotations relate to a later date than the map.

regards John

although the map is dated 30/6/17 the railway lines are shown going through the german front line so it can be assumed the actual annotations relate to a later date than the map.

regards John

John

Could you give me the reference numbers for the map (I have already noted elsewhere you are unable to upload it)

It will give me a start when requesting items to view at IWM.

I have spoken twice to IWM who have told me that they have a lot of maps showing minute details of Ypres area but I must request what I want to view prior to a booked viewing .

The map that you have would at least give me a good general idea of specific locations to study.

Also on the topic of WW1 light railways, people may want to know that there is a special event at the Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge Railway. There is a rally for classic buses (mainly London ones) in the town and buses will be running around the area including to and from the railways close by at Pages Park.

The railway is planning to run a newly restored WW1 BAldwin steam engine on passenger services - something not seen for something like 60 years. The railways aslo has quite a range of stock from WW1, though some has been converted/modernised. Perhaps a pals gathering should be planned to celebrate the event!

• 6 months later...
John

I was thinking of more late17 early 18

Davies says zenith of light railways just prior to Mar 18 745 miles of track carrying 186,750 tons a week (whole front)

What I intend to do is pick a date (When most information is available and not yet determined) draw the skeleton of the area ,the railway net work, and colour in the flesh of the support units.What interests me is not the front but the back up,Ammo dumps,bakeries,mule stabling,any thing to support the front line.Its the simple things like water for instance,how was it supplied to what was a virtual small city,with all the destruction and interruptions.I believe by 17/18 it was the railways that tied everything together.

I am not sure exactly how wide to cast the net and at the moment I am trying to gain as much info before going to IWM who I have already spoken to ,who seem to think its feasable.Any links to the trivia of salient would be very welcome.

Hi, I have just joined this group as I am interested Light Railways. How is you project going? I have been researching the history of the NZ 5th LROC which operated in the Poperinge - Ypres region. In the Unit War Diary there are a series of maps drafted by unit member showing the light rail network in the area as it grew and grew. Stations/locations are referred to by nickname. Are you interested?

Paul Napier

• 14 years later...

I’d like to know how your project went…