Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help in pin pointing exact (as near as) Unit location

ressmex

My soldier was in 2 KOSB, was killed and has no known grave on 8.5.1917 so far I have tracked them down to being south of Fresnoy Wood and suspect he was killed during a heavy bombardment of the 13 IB brigade positions another reference states they were between Fresnoy wood and Oppy allthough not a great distance but big enough is there any way to close this general position from a couple of miles down to say a couple of hundred yards or meters or even actual company positions in the line.

Thanks in advance.

TOM

Hi Tom

Not a direct help Im afraid but the 1st Bedfords (15th Brigade) War Diary mentiones the 13th Bgde:

7 May 1917 In bivouacs as above. C.O. Adjutant Coy Cmdrs & I.O. reconnoitred routes to Battalion"s of 13th Bde holding front line W. of OPPY. During night enemy shelled camp. No damage done

8 May 1917 - near Fresnoy At 9.30 a.m. Battn received orders to be ready to move at moments notice. At 10.30 a.m. received orders to move forward at once and be in close reserve to 13th & 95th Inf. Bdes. who had been attacked during night in FRESNOY VILLAGE. Battn. stayed in position, B.19.c.3/4, old German Trench, during night. Rifle Grenades, Extra S.A.A., tools etc. were issued. Officers reconnoitred CORP LINE East of WILLERVAL."

Looks like the Brigade were in and around the village, so hopefully it narrows it down to a km or less. :unsure: