Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Monchy Le Preux

jack

My grandfather, H6285 Pte. Frederick Richards, 10th Royal Hussars, was severely wounded during the attack on Monchy Le Preux on 9/10th April 1917. I am not sure if he made the village before being blown off his horse and ending up in an earlier shell crater. He survived but was sent home. Does anyone know the German artillery units in operation during the attack by the 10th Hussars ?

Jack

The 17th (Bavarian) Regiment of the 3rd (Bavarian) Division took over the defence of Monchy on 11 April. If their artillery arrived early, then the 5th or 12th Bavarian Field Artillery Batteries would have been involved.

Otherwise, I am not exactly sure which German division was present on the 9/10. It could have been the 11th Division, which had the 42nd Field Artillery Regiment.

German artillery had been gathered in Battery Valley, which was in front of Monchy. It is likely that batteries from several regiments were gathered there. They came under observed fire from the RA on 9th April and became scattered. However, many came back into action again on the 10th. I suspect it will be very difficult to pin down exactly which German batteries were in the vicinity.

I will be interested to see if anyone has more precise information for German OOBs on 9/10 April.

Robert

Jack,

Do you have a photo of your grandfather in uniform ? If so I'd be hugely grateful for a copy of it.

If you need any information about the Regiment at that time please let me know and I'll help you out if I can.

Cheers for now

Martin

Martin,

Thanks for the offer of help. I have two photographs. Unfortunately, my old scanner is not compatible with my system. Hopefully new scanner coming soon. I will post them soonest. The second photograph was taken almost a year after he was wounded at Monchy Le Preux, and is recovering in Scotland. Although having been posted to the 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment shortly after getting back to the UK in April 1917, he is still wearing the cap badge of the Shiny Tenth on his wedding day photograph in 1918. Also visible is a double chevron on his lower left sleeve indicating 6 years service. Below that is a wound stripe. Was it customary to continue wearing 1st line Cavalry insignia (ie 10th Hussars) when in a Reserve regiment ?

Regards,

Jack

Jack,

From looking at period German maps and accounts from 'Die Osterschlacht bei Arras 1917' II Teil, the artillery regiment that was probably involved the most on the date in question would have been the 17th Reserve Feld Artillerie Regiment under the command of Major Meitzen. His unit was attached to the 17th Reserve Division. Other batteries that might have also been involved could have been 18th Reserve Feld Artillerie Regiment from the 18th Reserve Division.

I hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

Ralph

The descriptions of dead and wounded men and horses after this action at Monchy are heart-rending. It seems to be that the combination of desperate injuries to men and animals is particularly affecting.

Ralph

Do you know which German units were responsible for orginally capturing Monchy le Preux in 1914? From what I can make out, German units were likely to be part of IV Army Corps (attached to Sixth Army), specifically the 7th and 8th Infantry Divisions. I Bavarian Reserve Corps seemed to be north of the River Scarpe and Guards Corps was further south, around Monchy au Bois.

Robert,

It looks as if it was the 8th Division from the IV Corps. The regiments involved were: 36th Fusiliers, 72nd IR, 93rd IR and 153rd IR. The map I have shows the division advance directly through Monchy Le Preux.

Ralph

Fabulous. Thanks Ralph. My interested was stimulated by the photograph of a German field gun somewhere outside Monchy, which was featured in the Battlefield Europe book.

Robert

Jack,

Yes, I think that men would try to retain their 'proper' regiments cap badge though serving with a reserve regiment. Obviously if you'd been used to wearing the Prince Of Wales's Feathers of the shiny 10th, anything else would be a bit of a come down !!!!!!!!!!!

• 15 years later...

This is an extremely old post, but I was running a search and found this string.   The German artillery that was at Monchy was the 17th Reserve Artillery Regiment, part of the 17th Reserve Division.  I have translated the Regimental History and there are several pages relating to this battle, including firing on three squadrons of cavalry.   The translated reference is "Three squadrons sprung out  just before the crossroads on the main national road and swarming out into their firing lines, were literally wiped out by our fire"   There are other references to firing on tanks south of the cemetery, so this would put the action south of Monchy on the current Route 

D33.  If you are still monitoring this post, let me know, and I can send you the rest of it.

• 1 year later...

Can you post the diary entries for German artillery operations on April 13th and 14th at Monchy, and the arty units involved? Thanks very much. M

• 1 month later...

Hello rgilbert. I have been away from the site for some time and see that you have replied to my post on 1 February. I have re-registered hence name change. Yes, I would be very grateful for the remainder of the translation concerning the 10th Hussars attack at Monchy.

• 1 year later...