Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

cemeteries and memorials

deano

hi all

i have never been to any cemeteries or memorials in belgium or france. it is something i would love to do. i would especially like to visit trefcon cemetery to the west of st quentin as that is where my great grand father is buried and none of my family has ever visited his grave.

sorry, getting carried away!

the thing is a workmate of mine is moving to spain in june and he is going by car. he is going the shortest route i think, calais to paris and then down to andorra. he has shown a great interest in my research i have done on my great grand father and the cemeteries and memorials in northern france and he has asked me if i could possibly put some sort of itinary together for him for his travels down to spain so he can get the 'feel' of the sacrifice made by the men of the great war.

'Petroc' has just posted a picture of etaples cemetery on the forum and for me looking at the rows and rows of graves sums it up for me.

which itinary would you opt for on your travels through northern france?

hope you can help

Dean

thanks for that TD60.

anymore anyone?

Dean

hi chris

its my workmate that is moving to spain, not me im afraid.

he's says he wont be in a hurry to get to spain asap as hes going to take his time traveling down and get off the beaten track now and again.

he reckons about 3 days in northern france.

thanks chris

Dean

Mrs & Major's Battlefield Guide to the Somme

:) Good book.

Steph x

thanks steph

got that book, ill take it into work today for him

Dean

I agree, Holts guides are excellent and a great way to start. I started that way and ended up working for Holts Tours (now sadly no longer connected with Major and Mrs Holt)!