Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Medal?

Mr_Sunray

I was hoping my fellow Pals could help a Kiwi who has posted the following on another forum (WBG)?

I have an interesting medallion which belonged to my great-grandfather, who served in WWI. He has a couple of other medals which I know all about, but this medallion, I can't find any information on (or at least in the places that I've looked).

I therefore have no clue as to what it is or why he had it.

[Images no longer avvailable - GWF Team]

Any help would be much appreciated by both of us!

Steve

Looks like an adapted French coin to me! One side polished and name engraved or stamped...

Probably a private family momento adapted by a former member of the Australian Imperial Force (AIF).

This looks like a home made ID disk made from a French coin.

Rob

Yes, its an unofficial identity disc made from a French coin.

However, although ANZAC, it is not Australian. It was owned by a New Zealander.

AIB = Auckland Infantry Battalion. Also, note the number for an officer, and the number prefix to the number itself.

It is also quite likely that the "S" stands for Stanley, and that his airman son was killed in WW2:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2207647

Over to you Kiwis.

The son died as a Japanese POW, and would have been captured in the Dutch East Indies. Wasn't there a scheme for New Zealanders to travel to England and join the RAF in the late 1930s?

"In 1942 84 Squadron was transferred to the Far East theatre, carrying out raids on Japanese forces in Sumatra, Batavia and Java. Japanese forces overran the Sqn in Java and all were taken prisoner except a small party including the CO and 11 aircrew."

http://www.raf.mod.uk/structure/84squadron.cfm

Hi,

OK, the disc was for Stanley Bongard, here are his details of his service records stored at Archives New Zealand.

Please quote this information to request this record

title years

BONGARD, Stanley - WW1 12/3915 - Army 1914 - 1917

agency series accession box / item record part alternative no.

AABK 18805 W5520 97 0016158

The 12/3915 was his regimental number, all NZ soldiers had this format with the prefix for the first 10 reinforcements. The Prefix 12 stood for the unit, in this case Auckland Infantry battalion. He was in the 1st Auckland Battalion which was formed in the early part of 1916 in Egypt after Gallipoli. The first Brigade of the NZ Division was made up primarily of the Gallipoli veterans. I have no idea what the C.E. stands for or means, it would not be a company designation, as Auckland Battalion was made up of the 3rd North Auckland Company/6th Hauraki Company etc. I will think about that one further. I suppose it could be Church of England, given its an identity disc, if the disc was found on the mans body, his religous denomination would be known, pure speculation on my behalf. A well preserved item, good on the family for taking such good care of it.

Cheers Aaron.

I have no idea what the C.E. stands for or means, it would not be a company designation

Cheers Aaron.

His religion Aaron. CE = Church of England.

That is to say Protestant/Anglican?

His religion Aaron. CE = Church of England.

That is to say Protestant/Anglican?

Yes correct, but as I say that is pure speculation, it could mean anything really. I am at present trawling through the make u of the Auckland Battalion to see if C.E. can be found. ILL let you know if I find anything else.

regards Aaron.

Yes correct, but as I say that is pure speculation, it could mean anything really. I am at present trawling through the make u of the Auckland Battalion to see if C.E. can be found. ILL let you know if I find anything else.

regards Aaron.

Aaron

I have several hundred identity discs from all over the Empire/Commonwealth.

I promise you it is his religion.

Oh great...not a bad guess then, I have not seen one Identity disc. Glad I could be of some help.

Been doing some family history, and found some more information on the Bongard family. I don't know anything about Lt S Bongard, other than what is on this thread. However, it is possible that he had two brothers/cousins, who were also officers in the NZEF.

Lt A Bongard and Lt J R Bongard are mentioned in:

"An index to the book THE NEW ZEALAND DIVISION 1916 - 1919

A Popular History based on Official Records

By Col H. STEWART C.M.G. D.S.O. M.C.

(Late Comdg, 2nd Bn, Canterbury Regt)

Whitcombe & Tombs Ltd 1921"

Source: http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/NEW-Z...6-11/1164564583

....Lt J R Bongard...

"BONGARD, 2nd Lieutenant James Rossiter, who has been reported wounded, is the fourth son of Mrs Bongard of Vauxhall Rd, Devonport, and the late Captain J Bongard. He was born at Devonport 22 years ago and was educated at the Devonport school and the Auckland Technical College. At the outbreak of war he was employed in Messrs A & T Burt's electrical department. [AWN 28.09.1916] P.33"

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~s...nppsep1916.html

He was also awarded the Military Cross, Auckland Weekly News, 8th February 1917:

"BONGARD, Lieut J R, Rifle Brigade, led a small party against an enemy battery, killing a gun team and damaging a gun. He set a splendid example throughout the operation."

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~s...n08feb1917.html

I realise that this is not Stanley Bongard. However, if James Rossiter Bongard, MC was also a relation of mine I would want to know about it.

I am also thinking in terms of the future. Someone may search this site for Bongard's in years to come.

On behalf of the Kiwi whose medallion this is, I would like to thank everyone for their input to this topic. The information gleaned has exceeded both our expectations!

Thank You!

Steve.

On behalf of the Kiwi whose medallion this is, I would like to thank everyone for their input to this topic. The information gleaned has exceeded both our expectations!

Thank You!

Steve.

Steve

Here is a link to something about Stanley Bongard's RAF officer son, who died as a prisoner of the Japanese in 1943.

http://genforum.genealogy.com/bongard/messages/3.html

The actual link won't tell you more than is mentioned above. However, there are a couple of follow up posts that might. One is actually from a Bongard.

This might be a "wild goose chase" though. I have not been able to read the posts. My computer won't open them. :(

• 16 years later...

Hello, I’ve just stumbled upon this thread. Stanley’s son, Peter Bongard, was my grandfather. I’d love to hear more information about the medallion mentioned. The images no longer load on this site but it would be great to see what it looks like and find out where it might be. It’s been many years since the last comment so maybe this is hopeful. Thank you to anyone who can help

@Mr_Sunray

Edited by Teamtka

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Mr_Sunray hasn’t visited the forum since 2011. Your tag might alert them to your post, but it depends whether they’re still using the same email address now as they did then.