Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

hmt braconlynn

calvin

hello all, can anyone tell me where the crew list for this ship would be kept for the first world war, she was built in aberdeen and was pennented A584 i beleive and was taken over by the admiralty in 1914, she acted as a minesweeper during ww1. thankyou, regards john

Hi John,

Can't help with a crew list, but here's some info on the Brackonlynn.

Name:BRACONLYNN

Construction:STEEL

Type:TRAWLER

Date:1913

Yard Number: 492

Owner:Don Steam Fishing Company, Aberdeen (A584)

Builder:A. HALL & Co., Aberdeen

Dimensions:Overall: 12 9/12 x 22 1/12 x 115 3/12ft

Gross Tonnage: 205 tons

Owned in 1920 by S Allen, Aberdeen. Owned in 1923 by Sam. Robford & Co Ltd, London. Owned in 1926 by R W Sutherland, Aberdeen. Owned in 1938 by G Walker, Aberdeen. Owned in 1953 by A W King, Aberdeen. Scrapped 1960

Info from "Aberdeen Built Ships"

Braconlynn: Tr 206/13, 1-6pdr. Hired 1914-19 and as A/P vessel 12/39-1940

Info from "Ships of the Royal Navy vol 2" J.J. Colledge.

Gerald Toghill does not list the "Braconlynn" in his book Royal Navy Trawlers part 2, he does list a "Bracklynn" (FD2) but this appears to be a different vessel.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Donny

hello donny, that is great, it certainly helps, it is so difficult finding things out but i am learning, thanks again, regards john

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the British crew lists are in Newfoundland; if I recall correctly 10% went to Southampton and 10% to Kew (mostly high profile ships). I'm not sure whether the wartime lists would be with them as they were then under Admiralty orders and the paperwork was more likely to be Admiralty issue.

Most of the British crew lists are in Newfoundland; if I recall correctly 10% went to Southampton and 10% to Kew (mostly high profile ships). I'm not sure whether the wartime lists would be with them as they were then under Admiralty orders and the paperwork was more likely to be Admiralty issue.

If the Ship started out as a civilian ship that had dealings with NFLD there is a good chance there may be records housed at the Maritime Archives located at Memorial University of Newfoundland, in St. John's. As has been stated above they have a massive collection of British crew lists. If the Ship is of Military origins I'm not sure the Archives would have much on them, though I am in no way positive about that point. Contact information for the Archives can be found through the Memorial University website at www.mun.ca and the archive staff are very helpful and more than willing to help if they can, should the record be housed there they should be able to provide you with the info needed.

thanks for the help guys i will try the website you suggested, thanks again, regards john