Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Border Reg/Formerly Herefords

Myrtle

I have been researching a soldier who was transferred from the Herefords to the 11th Border Regiment and was KIA on 18th November 1916 along with another 48 former Herefords plus one who DoW.

Of the 141 ORs of the 11th Bn. who died that day 50 of them were former Herefords.

I notice that 39 of the 50 had four digit service numbers starting with 4; 2 soldiers had four digit numbers starting with 1; 8 men had four digit numbers starting with 2 and the man that I am researching had a four digit number starting with 8. His service number ties in with other Herefords from his town who were KIA at Gallipoli but he is the only OR that I can find whose number starts with 8 who was killed on 18th Nov. 1916.

Is there any significance in this and would somebody please explain how it was decided which soldiers should be transferred between regiments ? Was it done using service numbers ?

Regards

Myrtle

Now in the light of day I realise this question should have been posted under the "service number" theme which is already running.

Myrtle