Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Iain McHenry's Aerial Footage of the Salient

Tom Morgan

I think I might be the first Forum member to see Iain's video. Mine arrived this morning and I can tell you it's excellent!

It's amazing to see the Salient spread out below in this way. The most astonishing thing for me was the way in which the video makes it possible to locate well-known sites in relation to each other. This is especially true of the passes over the Messines mine-craters. You can't get this relationship between places when you view them from the ground - not so well, anyway. Seeing these places from above is something else.

The clever way in which Iain has able to point out significant places on-screen is very helpful, too. It may have been an experimental project but it's a success and has enormous potential, I think.

Congratulations to Iain and Paul K, his co-pilot, and special thanks to steady-handed Ski, the cameraman, who must have spent quite a lot of the flight wishing that damn wing would move out of the way a bit quicker! (Was it HIS teeth I heard clonking against each other in the rather bumpy landing sequence?)

Great stuff and worth waiting for.

Tom

Tom,

Glad to hear such an outstanding review of the film. I anxiously await mine. I spoke to Iain on the phone yesterday and he relayed some of the production details. I must admit Iain is very out going person who is well connected. I only see greater things in his future.

Iain my friend you can enclose a 50 pound note in my Christmas card for my unbiased praise. :lol: I look forward to seeing your film.

All the best my friends,

Jon

Hi,

This sounds excellent! I have been 'flying' for years, never tire of any view, but wish I had been flying lower to view the western front properly! How do I get a copy of this video?

Alie.

Is anyone hosting this online? I have broadband and can download it if you are.

Would you like me to host a copy Chris if this is a plan to spread the load across the Pals so others can download it?

Ryan

Am I missing something being so far away? Tom has his video already? and I don't remember seeing anything about costs, shipping, etc, etc

A wondering expatriot downunder ;)

No idea how Tom got his copy. We have not published any details about how to get one, so I assume it is a direct transaction.

Ryan, we are looking at the best way for people to get hold of a copy. Frankly the file sizes are too large for practical download and will do horrible things to your bandwidth and server performance while being downloaded. The consensus is moving towards DVD/CD/video rather than online.

Tom,

Thanks very much for the "Good Press"!

I recieved my copy from Iain today, and it's been the first time i've been able to see the Film in it's finished state.

I have to agree with you, whoever thought of putting wings on the side of a plane just wasn't considerate enough to think of camera men in the back seat!!!

I think in future it would probably pay off to film in the front seat as this may avoid the wing. Also having not flown in a smal fixed wing aircraft before, i was quite surprised at the amount of turbulance you get, which is my excuse for some of the shaky bits!!!

Anyway i hope that this may be the start of more arial films to come and i have to agree with Tom that for a first attempt, we have'nt done too bad at all.

Cheers,

Ski :)

Sorry if I caused any confusion or raised any hopes about availablility, delivery status or anything like that. I can see how the phrase "my copy arrived this morning" might have suggested that deliveries were in progress.

I got my copy of the video "direct from the manufacturer" as a little Christmas present.

Tom

OK thanks Chris. Will keep an eye out for more details as and when cd/dvd is available

Ryan

Hey Jon.

Nice to hear from you.

I ain't seen Somme 1916,on this forum,for a long time.

If the video is as good as the photos,sign me up for a copy.

Even though i have Broadband,video is not to good.

A hard copy,would be better,and a bit of a researching must,i would think.

Good to see old chums back.

All the best.

Simon.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say that I have now bought a DVD recorder (Grundig 550) which produces excellent results using DVD +RW or +R discs. I would be happy to make a few copies assuming that a DVD already exists. I could also copy S-VHS/VHS tapes onto DVD.

I understand that 85% or so of DVD players will play +R/+RW discs (some older ones will not), so compatability would not be a major problem.

John, Ian,

I'm sure Ian won't mind me speaking on his behalf, but he's currently mid way through going to his new posting in Germany and so i'm guessing that he's unable to get to a PC at present.

But as soon as he's back online he'll be able to update you all.

Cheers,

Ski :)

Hi Folks,

Sorry for being away for a while, but im in the process of moving to Sennelager in Germany for a 4 year posting (Beautiful WW1/WW2) German memorial outside my new camp (Normandy Barracks), anyway, reference the aerial footage, we are in the process of contacting a company to run off 50-100 copies of the footage on DVD. Once this has been done we hope to be able to sell them in Chris Bakers QM store. We aim to sell the DVD for cost price plus post and packing and a donation to the forum. Please excuse the delay, but once im settled here in Germany I will get my backside into gear and get on with the orders. Best regards to all.

Iain

Iain,

I hope the cost of the run you propose works out at a sensible cost per DVD. I will certainly be a buyer. I think the numbers you propose sound reasonable but it could become a cult classic !