Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ely or elsewhere in Cambridgeshire and East Anglia generally

Dragon

Is there anyone in Ely or its vicinity that can help, please?

Cambridgeshire is practically ready for uploading with the rest of East Anglia on the Drill Halls website. Unfortunately, it seems to be a county where there are few extant drill halls, unless, of course, premises exist that were not recorded by Graeme's source material such as Kelly. I photographed March recently, but I believe that is post-Great War and therefore outside the scope of the project.

East Road, Cambridge is under the new County Court, we've information that St Neots was demolished in the 1990s and there's a superstore on the Wisbech drill hall site. Thus, our county section on Cambridgeshire is sadly lacking in photographs.

We have information that premises still exist in Ely: Silver Street and Parade Lane - not a drill hall, but buildings attached to the Regimental HQ and some quarters. I will supply the details to anyone who can help.

We would be extremely grateful if anyone would be able to supply any photograph(s) at all, perhaps if someone can take pictures in Ely, which will enable us to illustrate Cambridgeshire on the website.

I'm very appreciative of the insights sent by Chris Harley about March and Wisbech, so I'd like to record our public gratuitude.

Gwyn

Gwyn

I live close to Ely I can check these out for you and get pictures for you any more in the local vicinity I would be happy to help.

You can PM or e-mail me with more details.

Ray

No old photos I'm afraid but I was an Army Cadet there in the early 1950's, I remember the indoor rifle range amongst other things. The entrance to the Drill Hall was opposite the King's School playing field.

As an old Fen Tiger I'm grateful that you've taken on this project.

Keith

Thank you both very much for your interest. I am very grateful.

Ray, I will send you some details.

I've been able to photograph quite a few East Anglian drill halls, particularly Suffolk, eg Beccles, Bungay, Southwold, Sudbury, Bury St Edmunds (militia barracks), Stowmarket, Framlingham (castle was used; drill hall is 30s) and visited various Norfolk towns, eg E Dereham, Swaffham. I have relatives in the area. However, larger towns like Great Yarmouth (two extant), Lowestoft (one possibly extant), Ipswich, Norwich (one extant) and Kings Lynn (one extant), and other smaller places, are as yet unphotographed and I don't know when I will get across there again. (Speaking for myself; I wouldn't comment on Graeme's movements.)

We would be most appreciative of any photos. The relevant pages of four East Anglian counties are now online so it will be obvious what we have.

I haven't had the opportunity to include the photos of Norwich and Great Yarmouthwhich arrived in my inbox this evening; apologies. They will be added in the next day or so. Many thanks.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon

Gwyn

did you get the ASC place in Kings Lynn?

Chris

Chris, no. I haven't been back to Kings Lynn. (This is the one on Purfleet Quay you mention as having the writing on the side?)

Gwyn

Gwyn

yes that is the one - hope to get over there some time this spring

Chris

A photo would be great if you have time, please, Chris.

Thanks for your support.

Gwyn

Public thanks to Ray and to Chris for their invaluable input off forum. :)

Thanks too to another Chris for the photos of Great Yarmouth and Norwich.

As neither of us is in a position to go to every town in Britain on behalf of the project, the help and support of people in the locality is very much appreciated.

Gwyn

• 2 weeks later...

Public thanks to Ray for the fantastic selection of Ely photos, which I've now been able to view. Email on its way.

Gwyn

Gwyn

Will confirm the status of Lowestoft the next time Im there and also a picutre

Chris

Thank you, Chris. Up-to-date information would be great.

Gwyn

• 7 years later...

Hi

Have old photos/post cards of two places that were used as drill halls in Dereham, Norfolk - Corn Hall during WWI & Cooper Brown Brewery after 1922 when it closed - this is where the TA Hall is today in Norwich Street - also got one of that if you want it, as well as the soldiers rest rooms during WWI and officers etc. outside Corn Hall on 5th August 1914.

PM me your email if interested and I'll send them to you. - I've also got information on them.

thanks and take care, Kitty

Edited by Kitty55

Gwyn

If you still need help with Ely let me have the details and I will get photos tomorrow, 3 June, after my mornings work.

Garth