Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lieutenant R. Conan Doyle

Mark Hone

Whilst compiling the Bury Virtual war memorial, I have come across a transcript of a letter of condolence written by one Lieutenant R. Conan Doyle, Hampshire Regiment. I haven't got a copy of a suitable biography to hand, so can anyone tell me if he is he by any chance a relative of Sir Arthur?

Well, Hampshires looks likely, because Conan-Doyle was working and living in Portsmouth.

He had five children. However, those from his second, 1907, marriage would be too young for WW1.

This leaves the two children from his first marriage, of the mid 1880s. They were Mary and Kingsley.

If your officer is Conan-Doyle's son he has to be this Kingsley. Maybe it is him, using a middle name or similar? He was killed in WW1:

"Although fifty-five when the war Conan Doyle also joined the Crowborough Company of the Sixth Royal Sussex Volunteer Regiment and served as a private throughout the war. His son, Kingsley Conan Doyle, joined the British Army and was wounded at the Somme. He died in October, 1917, after developing pneumonia."

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Jconan.htm

I can't get into the CWGC site to see if Kingsley had other name. It could also be another kinsman?

He was an acting Captain in the 1st Hampshires. this source says he died, not in 1917, but on 28 Oct 1918, in London.

Are you sure that the "R" in your Lieutenant R. Conan Doyle is not a badly written "A"?

No doubt the death date will be settled by the CWGC entry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only settled up to a point.

According to CWGC Captain Doyle died in 1918, but on November 1st.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2758067

Kingsley Conan Doyle's full name was "Alleyne Kingsley Conan Doyle", born 1892.

There's a memorial to him in Grayshott, Hampshire.

This is the entry from CWGC:

Name: DOYLE

Initials: A A K C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Hampshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 01/11/1918

Additional information: Son of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Lady Conan Doyle, of Windlesham, Crowborough, Sussex. Wounded on the Somme.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 23D. 191.

Cemetery: GRAYSHOTT (ST. LUKE) CHURCHYARD

Noel

Kingsley Conan Doyle's full name was "Alleyne Kingsley Conan Doyle", born 1892.

Noel

With Arthur in front of Alleyne.

Hence A A K C Doyle

Thanks for the replies. It is ceratinly printed as an an 'R' in the 'Bury Times' but then misprints are commonplace in local newspapers. The text reproduced is as follows:

"Just a line of sincere sympathy in your great loss. Your husband gave himself gloriously for his country. I expect you will receive official intimation, but I feel I must write personally to tell you that he was quietly buried by me. With deepest sympathy in your loss."

The man he is writing about is 47497 Private Lawrence Holden of 23rd (Tyneside Scottish) Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers, who was killed on 29th April 1917 aged 31. Although Conan Doyle says that he buried Holden, the grave was obviously later lost and he is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

I hope this isn't taking the thread off topic, but I knew about Conan Doyle's postwar interest in spiritualism, I hadn't realised how hard his family was hit - apparently he lost his son Kingsley, his brother, two brothers-in-law, and two nephews in the war. (info from Wikipedia)

Swizz

I hope this isn't taking the thread off topic, but I knew about Conan Doyle's postwar interest in spiritualism, I hadn't realised how hard his family was hit - apparently he lost his son Kingsley, his brother, two brothers-in-law, and two nephews in the war. (info from Wikipedia)

Swizz

Hi all

Captain Kingsley Doyle died on 1 November 1918 aged 24. Buried in Grayshott (St Luke) Chyd, Hants

(23 D 191).

Sir Conan's brother, Brig Gen John Francis I H Doyle CMG DSO, rests in Halle Communal Cem, 10 m or so SW of Brussels (Row A grave 58). A member of the RFA, he died on 19/2/1919 of pneumonia age 45 and his grave was visited by his brother in the early 20s (no pic at hand for the moment, but there is one in 'The Great War and the Shaping of the 20th Century' by Jay Winter and Blaine Baggett (BBC Books ?).

Cheers

SRD jar

Here is an interesting photograph of the junior officers of the 1st Hampshire's including A A K C Doyle taken shortly before 1 July 1916.

from left to right:

2/Lt A A K C Doyle (wounded)

2/Lt N H Bell (KIA)

2/Lt W A Hiddingh (wounded)

2/Lt E D Shearn (wounded)

2/Lt R Sweetenham (wounded)

An interesting photo-he certainly bears a strong resemblance to the 'old man'. Incidentally the soldier he buried, Private Albert Mellor was not a member of his battalion; he belonged to 23rd (Tyneside Scottish) Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers

Is the above photo published?

The photo is published in the Hampshire Regimental Journal January 1917.

Marc

Conan Doyles support for the war, including his own enlistment and that of his son, did not prevent him supporting Irish Independance. He was a major source of funding for the Defence of Roger Casement who was tried for High Treason in 1916, having sought arms and men from Imperial Germany, and one of the few who petitioned against the death penalty when Casement was sentanced to death and executed.